reagan0

New Problems with EyeTV 3.6.9 (7530)

Since upgrading to this new version, I have been experiencing issues that I haven't experienced before. The first that I noticed is that I have had to insert an antenna amplifier in order to get anywhere close to the number of stations that I picked up before the upgrade. Prior to the upgrade, I could pick up 36 stations without an amplifier. After the upgrade, without the amplifier, I could only pick up 12 stations, with the amplifier, 34 stations.

The second issue is that now I notice that some programs that I record are not complete. The recordings claim to start on-time, but more often than not they start several minutes into the program, and the recording durations can be as little as a few seconds for a half-hour or hour program. Tonight I came home about a quarter hour before midnight and checked on the programs that I had recorded while I was gone. All the programs had completed just fine except the one that was still recording. It had started at 23:00 for an hour long program. It was about 46 minutes into the program, but EyeTV had only recorded 14 minutes of it, and the time was not advancing. I stopped the recording and began looking through it. It cut in a few minutes into the program, recorded about 2 minutes, then skipped ahead and recorded a minute or two, then skipped ahead and recorded a few more minutes, then skipped ahead, and so on until it I stopped the recording.

Normally, in previous versions of EyeTV, if there were broadcast dropouts, EyeTV would continue recording, and there would just be a black screen until the broadcast video resumed. Now, it just skips ahead with no black screen. So, I don't think broadcast dropouts are causing this problem. And since this wasn't occurring before the upgrade, I'm suspicious that this version of EyeTV may have a bug in it.

I have changed nothing else in my hardware/software configuration other than upgrading EyeTV. The addition of the amplifier doesn't appear to affect the skipping one way or the other. It skips with or without the amplifier. But, the quality of the recordings are better with the amplifier. (And, of course, I get more stations.)

My setup: Mac Mini Server (Mid 2011) running macOS Sierra (10.12.6) and EyeTV 3.6.9 (7530), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q, Dual Leaf Antennae with Philips Antenna Amplifier. This has always given me near perfect reception without the antenna amplifier before I upgraded to the latest EyeTV3.

Is anyone else having either of the two issues I'm having with EyeTV 3.6.9 (7530)?

I have not had any unusual problems after the software update. It sounds like signal strength issue, which could just be coincidence:  broadcasters changing antenna patterns  with season, or actual problems at the transmitter, etc.

Skipping frames (given marginal signal strength) has  been the case for as far back as the transition to digital in 2007/2008. Analog can pass on signal as it gradually degrades into noise-snow.  With digital going through an encoding process, as EyeTV has always been, data drop-outs get compressed away to nothing since the process always tries to reduce and discard unnecessary data for better performance.