Eric C

EyeTV 4 mac. Your activation key has been invalidated.

Hello,

I have the same problem https://ibb.co/L0wGGW4

Your activation key has been invalidated. Enter a new activation key above. If you find this to be an error, please contact Geniatech Customer Service

I have contacted Customer Service many time, never receiving a reply.

I bought the licence in April 2020 Order #76608

I have a EyeTV Diversity (I bought a eyetv Splitter Cable at the same moment)

One of my computer is a Mac M1, I can't downgrade to Mac OSX that support 32 bit software (EyeTV 3)

I paid a licence for EyeTV 4 but I can't use, please fix it.

Thanks

EC

Same here, although I did get a response. They sent me the same key that was being invalidated. My second pleading, so far, has gone unanswered. I loved this software, especially the earlier 32-bit version, but the current version is from hell. 

From reading threads like this I wonder if this is a ONE-TIME ONLY license, which I don't think I've ever heard of.  What I'm wondering is when you key the activation code in, does it call home and invalidate the license so it can't be used again?  This would be a potential problem for me, as I was experimenting with several TV apps on an external drive (EyeTV, Plex, Emby, HDHomeRun), and whichever one I selected would have been installed on my internal drive.  Now I think the only possible installation was to my test drive, and I would have never been able to install it on my internal later.  If so, this is very weird licensing!

I have since settled on using the last version of EyeTV 3 under Geniatech, which works great on Mojave, which is almost the highest OS my older Mac can run.  So I will not be installing EyeTV 4 on my internal drive anytime soon (not until it offers something over Geniatech's EyeTV 3 stability and functionality).

But if this guess is true, only install it on your production drive!  And you will be glitched if you ever have a HD crash and have to re-install...  🤨

I'm still using Eyetv 3 on iMac because it works and also because i'm not even confident that if I purchase a key for Eyetv4 i will be sent a code to use it. And like the previous poster said will that code only work once? Can I put it on my MBP also? The new owners should really read these forums and get more engaged.

• Like 1

Me too.
I bought a new Mac. It was the third item of mine to run Eyetv 4. Whether that prompted my invalidation remains to be seen. I have raised a support ticket, for what it's worth, but it's very frustrating as I use it to watch TV every night. I have deleted it from two of the machines, but there  was no miraculous revalidation.
It's New Year's Eve, here in Australia, and whether there's anybody on the Help desk, is anybody's guess— probably not, but I'm an optimist, and if I get sorted out I'll come back here and report.
Happy New Year— ☹️.

• Like 1

So we might only get only TWO installations?  That’s nuts!  If that is true, I can probably install once more (if they ever get v4 up and running), but I’ve had enough CPUs and failed disks to say a limit of 2 is crazy.  Do they specify that anywhere?  If they gave us like 10 installations, and advertised the limit, I’m very sure that would be enough to keep anyone from sharing their code!

I have sent support 4... 5... 6... I dunno, a lot, but they remain obstinately mute. Geniatech has the potential for a pretty good product, as it used to be, but what they're doing is akin to self harm.
I can still watch live TV, but it's a pretty rough work-around, and every now and then I have to reinstall.

Is this a fairly isolated problem or has it been resolved? Is there any clarification on how many devices the licence works on?

I've been using EyeTV 3 for 10+ years on multiple Macs, and reluctant to go to EyeTV 4 due too all the earlier reports of bugs. Hopefully this has improved by now?
I was about to try EyeTV 4 so I can finally update the MacOS (as far as I can) on 2 of my older macs... but now this activation key issue has me concerned I'd be wasting my time & money. 
Totally seperate question I know, but can EyeTV 3 on one mac connect to EyeTV 4 library on another?

Edited by todd

You aren't different than the rest of us, you should read more posts on this forum.  In general we love EyeTV3, and found EyeTV4 to be buggy.  This has not changed as of this date.  You can find work-arounds for many bugs, but for me it all came crashing down when I couldn't reliably watch the evening news while it was being recorded.  I could most of the time, but when it crashed during an attempt I lost both my playback and the recording.  So back to EyeTV3 for me.  

My solution ATM is to hold my 2nd EyeTV4 installation in reserve, in case I hear they have fixed the issues.  I also hope beyond hope that they increase the installations from 2 to at least 10.  Hey, tests need to be made, and computers crash.  But from what I have sensed, they have dropped funding for any new EyeTV4 fixes.  In the meantime I have dedicated my last EyeTV3-compatible Mac (a 2012 4-core Mac mini) to running EyeTV3 on an ongoing basis.  It is currently running Mojave and lights my life, lol.

As far as the libraries go, I had no problem switching between EyeTV3 and 4 during testing.  With one weird exception in that I lost all my local OTA channel scans in between, and had to rescan.

14 hours ago, OldTimer said:

With one weird exception in that I lost all my local OTA channel scans in between, and had to rescan.

A better way to word this is I lost all my ATSC/Open Cable Program Guide entries, and had to do a new program guide scan.  I did not mean to sound like I lost my channels.  Just my program guide entries.  A quick ATSC rescan brought them back.

I'm keeping at least one Mac that can run EyeTV3.  I was going to purchase Eyetv 4 but will not until they fix the activation lock issue. If they never do then I will be staying with Eyetv 3. I use it to record a few shows OTA and it does a great job along with my 15+ year old El Gato Hybrid USB stick.   Why did they buy the stuff from El Gato if they aren't even going to support it?????☹️