Sandy

Incompatibility with MacOS 13 (Ventura) Beta

Just a "Plus 1" to thank Delacroix for the link; even though I had what was nominally 8528 (although it said it was 8527), it quit as soon as I tried to launch it. The version downloaded from Mega works perfectly. Maybe Geniatech will get around to putting it on their website eventually...

• Like 2

I launched EyeTV on my old Mac it begun an automatic update to the version 8528 (updated Ventura support). So I copied the updated version in my old Mac to the new Mac and it works.

The version 8528 is dated 2022.08.08, I don't know why Geniatech didn't post anything about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Almorack said:

I launched EyeTV on my old Mac it begun an automatic update to the version 8528 (updated Ventura support). So I copied the updated version in my old Mac to the new Mac and it works.

The version 8528 is dated 2022.08.08, I don't know why Geniatech didn't post anything about it.

Great news!

15 hours ago, Almorack said:

They don't update their website anymore - haven't for more than a year.
No information about 8528 (and EyeTV 3.6.9 7530) on their website either.

Here is a new thought...Maybe Geniatech is a good company doing the best it can with the resources it has available, providing updates when it can and is concerned about their customers/users.  As the company is based in China, they may not have many employees able to communicate effectively in English.  So if they don't communicate often with customers this may not be a sign that they don't care about our concerns or that the are not fixing issues and problems with eyeTV.  I have been using eyetv for many years with very few issues which have been reported here. The software is not perfect, but works as I want it to 99% of the time.  When I updated to Ventura, on my M1 iMac eyeTV crashed upon launch and I had to  roll back my iMac to OS 12. Shortly after the release of Ventura (maybe a month later?) I received a notice that eyeTV had been updated to fix the crash issue on Ventura.  My experience with eyeTV has been positive and I have not had 99% of the issues users have reported on this forum.  My experience is that Geniatech is a good company doing their best to support eyeTV.  I don't like the fact that the company rarely communicates or responds to its customers, but until I am proven otherwise, I believe that the lack of communication may be due to the fact that the company has few employees capable of responding to customers in English.  BTW I am using eyeTV HD on an M1 iMac. Maybe the eyeTV HD has fewer problems than with other hardware setups. Also it doesn't help to be angry...think of it this way...if you are seeking customer service are you likely to get better service if you are angry and shouting or if you are calm, polite and respectful? It's your choice.

That's a positive spin on the situation. Having said that, I think it might be a bit generous.

Hiring Chinese-English translators is not expensive and the material isn't complicated. Just having an 0.1 update released more than once in (well, who knows as we are still waiting for 4.0.1) shouldn't be too much to ask.

Personally I'm a fan of the app. However I am unable to upgrade my folks' Mini to Monterey+ as the remotes don't work with the new version. Lots of little problems which one would imagine are quickly solvable if anybody was still developing it. And I certainly can't recommend anybody buy it if it feels like it may be discontinued.

On 1/15/2023 at 4:56 PM, PaulKB said:

think of it this way...if you are seeking customer service are you likely to get better service if you are angry and shouting or if you are calm, polite and respectful?

Heard the expression, the squeaky wheel gets the oil?