alanK

EPG TV Guide in USA not working

Are EyeTV4 users having the same EPG problem?  I have loved EyeTV for so many years and don't really see another app that is as user friendly....  If the problem affects EyeTV4 as well they should be right on top of fixing it!

1 hour ago, prettyfinch said:

Are EyeTV4 users having the same EPG problem?  I have loved EyeTV for so many years and don't really see another app that is as user friendly....  If the problem affects EyeTV4 as well they should be right on top of fixing it!

Yes I am using EyeTV 4 and problem with the EPG guide is exactly the same for me.

I asked Geniatech for a refund of my EPG annual subscription on the basis that the software had not been repaired and there did not appear to be any likelihood of it being repaired. The reply from the company was: "Very sorry that we still do not have a solution for it. I will send you email once our engineer has a solution. 

We will extend the time of your EPG validity period for the outage period. 
Our engineer is really trying to solve it. Our engineer may need some time."

I have now made alternative arrangements for recording tv programmes and will not be renewing my subscription if the EPG ever comes back on line. 

• Like 2

If you are within 180 days of purchase and request a refund via PayPal you will get it full refund. Outside of that period, Geniatech is extending the subscription. Though I did read elsewhere on the forum that people have gotten a prorated amount back on the subscription price, so perhaps keep emailing Geniatech?

I wonder when the LIERS at Genitech will stop lying at tell us what is really going on.  This is time for a class action lawsuit.  There is no technical issue, this I am assure of.

As am electronics designer with a solid computer background (and an MSEE) I could have walked to the server in China or wherever it is, fixed it and walked back to Los Angeles in the time they have been lying about a "server issue".  I can only think that they are using the Donald Trump school of business.  Lie enough until they believe there own BS.

I dare them to come clean.   I suspect they can not afford to pay TV guide (and maybe others) so they continue to lie about the real cause.

No one on this forum believes you anymore.

If they remove this post I will continue to post it every day until I die !

Edited by alanK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2022 at 6:34 PM, alanK said:

I wonder when the LIERS at Genitech will stop lying at tell us what is really going on.  This is time for a class action lawsuit.  There is no technical issue, this I am assure of.

As am electronics designer with a solid computer background (and an MSEE) I could have walked to the server in China or wherever it is, fixed it and walked back to Los Angeles in the time they have been lying about a "server issue".  I can only think that they are using the Donald Trump school of business.  Lie enough until they believe there own BS.

I dare them to come clean.   I suspect they can not afford to pay TV guide (and maybe others) so they continue to lie about the real cause.

No one on this forum believes you anymore.

If they remove this post I will continue to post it every day until I die !

Best thing about Geniatech right now is this forum. I assume they have to pay the vendor (Invision Community) for this service. I wonder when time will run out on that subscription???

• Like 1

I see they pulled my lying scumbags message.  That's good I guess since it means someone is still there.  They are still lying scumbags since they could have had a baby, waited for it to grow up and then have that kid fix the server issue by now.  That's of course if there was a server issue.  They can not pay their bills to the guide providers so they can provide the guides to us.

I suspect that the reason we don't get any honest statements from them is they hired DJ tRump as their spokesperson.

• Like 1

The EPG outage started about August 1, 2022 and it's now November 1, 2022.  Several trouble tickets have been filed with no response from Geniatech.  Does anyone have a alternated EPG they can recommend or possibly and alternate product that's still supported? 

By the looks of most of the comments here - most of you aren't of the familiar with these idiot's first huge outage?  It sounds like some of you may?  It's been well over three years ago (maybe 5?) Certainly well before the pandemic, which by the way... didn't that start in China, too!??!?  

I'm afraid to tell you all - but when this happened back then - it went on for SEVERAL months if not a year.  Back then we all kept getting the same misleading (lying) info, excuses, offers to extended service, no service, refunds, etc. EVERYTHING BUT the actual service we initially paid for.

I tried setting us up with auto methods to get the EPG data back then, but I ended up just creating our own program schedule within EyeTV program itself.  No trick or hack. Basically create the title of the show you want to record, with time and date.  Just like the old days.  Bad part was... if the show happened to not play that night, a rerun aired, replaced by something else - you didn't get your show - just whatever preempted it.

Sounds like these guys are back to all the same shenanigans!!  Short of it -- like last time, these Chinese owners will NOT honor any kind of subscription, or deal you may have had.  They didn't years ago, and they won't now.  They will however, like last time, string you along for MONTHS!

They do NOT update the software.  It's never been theirs, and they just rehash it all but changing menu button fields, etc., but never change anything, but actually... making it worse!!!  If you look at the software from 15 years ago, and now -- it's EXACTLY the same!!  

Unfortunately, they really have ruined EyeTV products and software.  We have 3 - 4 different devices, but really hate it all now.  I initially came to the site today because I was just going to bite the bullet and purchase TV Guide, but I  see that's all a fantasy again.  I guess I'll be going to back to our auto/manual method.  Oh well... at least I save myself the a headache and loss of more money.

BT THE WAY... did anyone know that the actor who played "Peter Brady" from the Brady Family, Michael Knight was an initial owner/founder/backer of EyeTV hardware?  I met him LONG ago at a Macintosh hardware event showing EyeTV equipment.  A bit surreal and bizarre.  LOL

ANYWAY.... best of luck to all.  Don't hold your breath too long before moving on.

• Like 1

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had made alternative arrangements and would not be renewing my EPG subscription. As it looks as if the EPG is now dead renewal is irrelevant. Alternative arrangements: I was fortunate to be given Humax TV recorder. Recorded programmes can be transferred to a memory stick. I connect the stick to my iMac and convert the recorded format to a Mac compatible format using Handbrake. Recordings are stored in the TV app and can be watched on the iMac or transferred to my iPad. Before considering this method check the recorder's instructions carefully; Panasonic recorders do not allow transfer of recordings to external media such as a memory stick (at least mine doesn't which is where the Humax comes in).

Placebo posted this a while ago - “ I ended up just creating our own program schedule within EyeTV program itself.  No trick or hack. Basically create the title of the show you want to record, with time and date.  Just like the old days.  ”  I would love more detail on how this was done!  I’m pretty tired of running to the Mac 3 minutes before a program I want is about to start, changing channels, and starting recording!

any help on this?

I have 2 EyeTV tuners on 2 Macs in different rooms. I have successfully set up the XMLTV program guide on one of them and paid a one year subscription. Does anyone know if I can use that to set the guide on the other system without paying another subscription? Will try it with the same API Key and see what happens - just wondered if anyone else has done this before.

The only way this could be worse would be to have Elon Musk by the company...  and I am a Tesla owner.

I sure do wish I new some chinese curse words.

• Like 1

I bought EyeTV in 2007

I’ve tried every version of EyeTv along with every MacOS as a beta tester for apple at times

This is the first time it didn’t crash in EytTV4 while clicking on schedules or other things

It crashed this morning

The program still works, but has a lot of problems

Currently I’m using 4.0.0 (8528) with 13.1 (22C65)

On 11/21/2022 at 4:10 PM, Placebo said:

BT THE WAY... did anyone know that the actor who played "Peter Brady" from the Brady Family, Michael Knight was an initial owner/founder/backer of EyeTV hardware?  I met him LONG ago at a Macintosh hardware event showing EyeTV equipment.  A bit surreal and bizarre.  LOL

LOL, that is interesting.  His name is Christopher Knight though.  Mike Lookinland played Bobby.