BobEyeTV

Mac OS Ventura, 13.0 EyeTV DON"T!!!

New (in update notes now compatible with Ventura) version of EyeTV 4 is now being offered when EyeTV checks for software updates.  This is latest but one version of EyeTV 4 running on latest version of Monterey though.  Software update started to pop-up as of Monday 31st October on my iMac.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, Pete_EyeTV said:

The 8528 version of EyeTV 4.0  can be downloaded from the Geniatech website using the following link - https://file.geniatech.com/eyetv4/EyeTV4.0.0_8528.dmg

It works fine for me using Mac OS Ventura 13.0 on my M1 Studio Max

Interesting that initially one could not find this on the site but someone else had provided an alternative link to it.

The new version seems to work but the version to the link to the previous one posted caused a crash when you quit the app.

I had the same issue: crash on launch. I downloaded the file as recommended above, and now it crashes on quitting; whenever I quit EyeTV, I get a dialogue box saying that EyeTV just quit. If it wasn't slightly annoying, it'd be funny, but at least it works, and given its form over the last few years, I'm thankful (and surprised) that it at least works.
Added a few days later:  
It seems to have settled in, and only occasionally quits on quitting, if you know what I mean, but it does not (NOT) like me clicking EyeTV>Preferences>Recording. Instant quit! But otherwise, it does what I need it to do. I watch TV and record.
It's like the Black Knight from Monty Python— '... it's only a flesh wound.'

MacBook Air M2 Ventura, blah, blah.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, jtm said:

La version EyeTV4.0.0.8528 n’est pas compatible avec Ventura 13.0 avec Mac mini M1. 

Exact. Et nous sommes le 5 décembre 2022 et le Mac Studio (M1) ne fonctionne pas du tout avec Eye TV 4 et Eye TV Hybrid. J'ai payé pour une nouvelle clé, sans avertissement que cela ne fonctionnait pas.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:09 AM, jackthejoy said:

Exact. Et nous sommes le 5 décembre 2022 et le Mac Studio (M1) ne fonctionne pas du tout avec Eye TV 4 et Eye TV Hybrid. J'ai payé pour une nouvelle clé, sans avertissement que cela ne fonctionnait pas.

I have version 8528 with an iMac M1 and Ventura. It DOES work. Download EyeTV reporter from the geniatech web site and clean up everything. Clean install, it should work.

The problem is that there is 2 version of EyeTV 8528 one at date of 17 nov 2021 and the good one at date of 8 August 2022.

In the Finder, go to Applications click button View by List and look on EyeTV for "Date modified"

if it is not 8 August 2022 reinstall from the link https://file.geniatech.com/eyetv4/EyeTV4.0.0_8528.dmg which was updated without changing version number.

On 12/1/2022 at 2:25 AM, helmfr said:

EyeTV 8528 seems to be stable on my M1 MacBook Pro.

On 12/1/2022 at 2:25 AM, helmfr said:

EyeTV 8528 seems to be stable on my M1 MacBook Pro.

How do you do it ? It would be marvellous to solve that issue : -)

Thank you to both of you. EyeTV4 does not crash anymore but... searching TV Stations from antenna through EyeTV Hybrid does not work. The antenna is working well for our TV set in another room. Should I get a new interface ?

- Dans la fenêtre EyeTV4 Programs, à gauche, en dessous de Matériel (sinon cliquer sur flèche a droite si non déployé), vous devez trouver EyeTV diversity et cliquer dessus

quel est le "niveau de signal" ( joindre copie fenêtre si possible pour les autres paramètres de l'interface diversity)

- faire Ctrl+cliquer sur "Toutes les chaines", choisir dans le sous menu "Ajouter chaine", choisir , si vous êtes en France et dans la région parisienne la fréquence 586000 khz,

( sinon si vous ne connaissez pas la fréquence d'un des "multiplexer" aller sur le site https://www.digitalbitrate.com  et/ou regarder dans les paramètres de la télé qui doit au moins afficher le numero de multiplexer )

cliquer sur ajouter le niveau de signal varie-t-il pendant la recherche ?

Edited by rened

On 12/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, jackthejoy said:

Thank you to both of you. EyeTV4 does not crash anymore but... searching TV Stations from antenna through EyeTV Hybrid does not work. The antenna is working well for our TV set in another room. Should I get a new interface ?

I had the same problem with my old hybrid stick. No channels at all. A bit earlier in this thread has been a solution and that finally worked. The old EyeTV hybrid apparently doesn't work with M1 or M2 Macs. I have a MacBook Pro 16'' with M1 Pro, Ventura 13.1

Yesterday I bought a eyeTV hybrid T2 and that works. All channels are found for TV and broadcast.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:40 AM, GeoffPh said:

I had the same issue: crash on launch. I downloaded the file as recommended above, and now it crashes on quitting; whenever I quit EyeTV, I get a dialogue box saying that EyeTV just quit. If it wasn't slightly annoying, it'd be funny, but at least it works, and given its form over the last few years, I'm thankful (and surprised) that it at least works.
Added a few days later:  
It seems to have settled in, and only occasionally quits on quitting, if you know what I mean, but it does not (NOT) like me clicking EyeTV>Preferences>Recording. Instant quit! But otherwise, it does what I need it to do. I watch TV and record.
It's like the Black Knight from Monty Python— '... it's only a flesh wound.'

MacBook Air M2 Ventura, blah, blah.

Same with me. After a normal quit I every time get the box that EyeTV did crash. And after many actions there has been a crash (I always sent the report). 

Export of audio of video files doesn't work at the moment. The only possibility to export the files is to locate them in the finder.

6 hours ago, aliciaviola said:

Same with me. After a normal quit I every time get the box that EyeTV did crash. And after many actions there has been a crash (I always sent the report). 

Export of audio of video files doesn't work at the moment. The only possibility to export the files is to locate them in the finder.

The problem with Ventura was a show stopper until I checked here and got the updated software. Now I am back in business and while we still have some bugs and other work-arounds required, it does get the job done. 

I download the program guide using the instructions I found on this forum and I am very pleased as it is now robust and offers more information than the EyeTV guide in recent years. It does take some work to set it up, so I understand that issue, but once you get it working it is MUCH better and cheaper.

As for editing the files I now actually prefer editing the videos in SHOTCUT (a free video editor) instead of EyeTV. Right click the file in the EyeTV list of recorded videos and choose to Show in the Finder. Then right click on the found file and show the package contents of the EyeTV recording. Drag the biggest file onto the open ShotCut window. From there I can easily edit out the commercials with a precision EyeTV never had and the export to an MP4 file on my Mac Studio is amazingly fast. PLUS the resulting file size is now about half what it used to be. I can also combine videos together into one file for two or three part shows and more. Really, this is the way to get it done.

EyeTV 4 is 64 bit so it is working with the new Mac OS, and while it has issues it gets the job of recording the shows I want done.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, Dan Sczygelski said:

The problem with Ventura was a show stopper until I checked here and got the updated software. Now I am back in business and while we still have some bugs and other work-arounds required, it does get the job done. 

I download the program guide using the instructions I found on this forum and I am very pleased as it is now robust and offers more information than the EyeTV guide in recent years. It does take some work to set it up, so I understand that issue, but once you get it working it is MUCH better and cheaper.

As for editing the files I now actually prefer editing the videos in SHOTCUT (a free video editor) instead of EyeTV. Right click the file in the EyeTV list of recorded videos and choose to Show in the Finder. Then right click on the found file and show the package contents of the EyeTV recording. Drag the biggest file onto the open ShotCut window. From there I can easily edit out the commercials with a precision EyeTV never had and the export to an MP4 file on my Mac Studio is amazingly fast. PLUS the resulting file size is now about half what it used to be. I can also combine videos together into one file for two or three part shows and more. Really, this is the way to get it done.

EyeTV 4 is 64 bit so it is working with the new Mac OS, and while it has issues it gets the job of recording the shows I want done.

I'm at least happy that with the newest version and a new EyeTV hybrid EyeTV works and is stable at the moment on a M1 Pro MacBook with OS Ventura 13.1.  I use a similar method for editing: with videos I open and convert the .ts file inside the package to .mp4 with VideoProc Converter (not free) and cut/ trim it with the very fast and stable LosslessCut (free). With audio file I open and convert the .ts file with JRiver MediaCenter.

Ma version récemment installée fonctionne (merci rened) mais à chaque fois que je quitte le programme, que ce soit avec "cmd+q" ou "EyeTV/Quitter EyeTV" j'ai la fenêtre qui me signale l'application a quitté de manière imprévue.

L'avez-vous aussi ?

;)

Capture d’écran 2023-01-07 à 21.26.56.png

Crash en sortie de EyeTV

Oui,  je l'ai aussi avec Ventura 13.1.

J'ai trouver une solution bizarrre:

si on ferme la fenêtre "Programmes d'EyeTV/EyTV4 Programs" avant de quitter, le crash ne se produit pas

( testé avec une fenêtre "direct/live" et une fenêtre en Edition ouvertes) 

On 10/29/2022 at 2:40 PM, Roland B. said:

Geniatech says, EyeTV 4 is compatible at least with the products below. And even the marketing pictures of the EyeTV Hybrid stick are still Elgato branded. I own two of them and they are pretty old. No problems so far in regards to the hatdware, except of the well known software problems with the EyeTV 4 itself, of course (compatibility issues with new Apple OS, missing but promised features...).

Did you deinstall the previous version with the software EyeTV reporter (provided by Geniatech)? And make sure you erase the previous settings too (function also included in the reporter software).

Compatible Peripherals

I ordered a new EyeTV hybrid stick and that works well. The problem seems to be that the first Hybrid stick doesn't work on the new Macs. It works perfect on my old Mac Pro mid 2010.

Though the software  and the stick are working now, it still feels like a not ready beta version: After every quit there is a message that the program crashed, the sorting of the channels doesn't work....

At some point recently, I had to reinstall EyeTV on MACOS Ventura and I thought EyeTV was broken forever and had given up.  Every time I tried to tune a station or auto tune to find the stations, EyeTV would crash.  This weekend I decided to look for an update and tried a new reinstall (no new update was available).  At the auto tune part of the process I noticed that the tuner on my EyeTV Hybrid had defaulted to  Antenna - Analog.  I changed it to Antenna - Digital and I am now back in business with no crashing.  EyeTV is now working again.  Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone.

I have Version 4.0.0 (8525) and the app launches, runs, records and plays back (although, it does crash, when you quit the app.)  However, when I try to export a recording, it just creates a zero byte file and doesn't actually export the file.  ANy ideas?

Ken H.

PS. Here is the key crash output when I quit:

Process:               EyeTV [1210]
Path:                  /Applications/EyeTV.app/Contents/MacOS/EyeTV
Identifier:            com.elgato.eyetv
Version:               4.0.0 (8528) (4.0.0 (8528))
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2023-03-14 10:07:20.7423 -0700
OS Version:            macOS 13.2.1 (22D68)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     7.2 (20P3045)
Anonymous UUID:        E5DE80EC-B016-C795-FDA0-A212EDB76E7A

Time Awake Since Boot: 840 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000000d8
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x00000000000000d8

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process:   exc handler [1210]

VM Region Info: 0xd8 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 140737487720232
      REGION TYPE                    START - END         [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      shared memory            7ffffff65000-7ffffff66000 [    4K] r-x/r-x SM=SHM