Mikyesun

Eyetv 4.x for Mac 64 - bit (public beta + preview)

21 hours ago, zanc said:

What apps will play exported mp4 files from EyeTV 4. Also, can anyone point me to the user manual for the release version. I've followed the links on the Help menu, but they don't seem to point to anything useful.

As mentioned you can use VLC, built into macOS is QuickTime Player which will play them.

EyeTV 4.0.0 (8518),  Catalina 10.15.2,  iMac (2017),  3.4 GHz Intel Core i5,   8 GB RAM,   1TB Fusion Drive

Been running for a couple of days now without too much grief.  Still a little flaky in parts.  Initially had lots of issues but rolled back to Mojave on a separate disk and upon returning to internal Catalina disk to test something, things seemed to be acceptable. 

Cannot share to an old MacBookPro running High Sierra and EyeTV 3 (7528) but that may be an issue with the MacBook itself.  Newer model capable of running Catalina on the way from ebay.  Christmas pressie to myself. 😁

Intermittently (more often than not), when trying to delete a recording in a "Playlist, Any "Delete" action, Key or Menu, causes the selection to jump to the top recording of the "Playlist" and doesn't delete the recording.  Very strange.  You can delete recordings in the "Recordings" pane.

In "Display" preference, found that either "No Deinterlace", "Drop Field" or "Motion-Adaptive" were needed to view HDTV smoothly.  I would have thought a iMac (2017) would have been fast enough to view using "Progressive Scan".  Running Activity Monitor didn't show anything amiss but could be a memory management issue as occasional "Beach Balling" when opening and closing app but EyeTV 3 did that also.  Also may have a conflict with a Cursor modifying program (PinPoint Pro) which is heavy on video. 

"Program Guide" window not quite right but minor issue.

EyeTV 4.0.0 (8518) ; iMac17,1; macOS 10.15.2 (19C57); EyeTV Netstream 4Sat (635) Elgato DVB>IP Server 1.1.0-402r1, Feb 19 2015, 17:49:21

- LAN Connection: TV window goes off, channel change no longer possible. Activate WLAN, TV works again. Deactivate WLAN TV continues to function until next time switch off

not usable, because of permanent separation after indefinite running time (approx. 10-20 minutes). The connection between EyeTV and EyeTV Netstream 4Sat will be interrupted and can only be re-established if either the LAN connection is physically disconnected or the WLAN is switched on. EyeTV will automatically reconnect  until the next disconnection.

I've been reporting this error since the beginning of this beta and have not received any feedback! :-(

Edited by Udo
macOS 10.15.2 (19C57)

1 minute ago, Udo said:

EyeTV 4.0.0 (8518) ; iMac17,1; macOS 10.15.1 (19B88); EyeTV Netstream 4Sat (635) Elgato DVB>IP Server 1.1.0-402r1, Feb 19 2015, 17:49:21

- LAN Connection: TV window goes off, channel change no longer possible. Activate WLAN, TV works again. Deactivate WLAN TV continues to function until next time switch off

not usable, because of permanent separation after indefinite running time (approx. 10-20 minutes). The connection between EyeTV and EyeTV Netstream 4Sat will be interrupted and can only be re-established if either the LAN connection is physically disconnected or the WLAN is switched on. EyeTV will automatically reconnect  until the next disconnection.

I've been reporting this error since the beginning of this beta and have not received any feedback! 😞

Do you mean "WLAN" or "WiFi"?

On 12/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, Mikyesun said:

Note: Customers who have purchased an  Eyetv 3 (32-bit) license or an Eyetv Tuner product after November 1, 2019, please contact  GTSales@geniatech.com, with proof of purchase. An Eyetv 4 (64-bit) license key will be sent to these customers by email.

I tried to send an email to this account, but it looks like it doesn't exist.

19 hours ago, Rick A said:

I have the US version of EyeTV Hybrid from elgato that I purchased many years ago.  It is recognized and works fine with version 4.0.0 (8517).  The hybrid was recognized by the installer and set up went as expected. I had the hybrid plugged in when I started the install.  I do have the stuttering problem with the 4.0.0 (8518) update so have reverted to 8517.  So while it may not be "supported" it works with the 4.0 software. 

I'll uninstall the software and try re-installing it with the Hybrid plugged in. That's the only scenario I didn't try. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

6 minutes ago, mattes.hh said:

yes, thats right! 

<GTSales@geniatech.com>: host qiye163mx01.mxmail.netease.com[103.129.252.22]
   said: 551 5.1.1 recipient is not exist (in reply to RCPT TO command)

I wouldn't be surprised if they have turned off their email system and gone home for xmas.  They are probably getting inundated with faults.  I've had a email bounced back to me also.

Edited by OldGoat
clarify

Eyetv was the best TV viewing program in the world, now it is the worst in the world. Why did you buy it from Elgato if you don't want or know how to develop it? Why had to destroy a great product? 😥

PS. Eyetv software for trash and eyetv hybrid tuner also. Goodbye!

Edited by giga

5 minutes ago, giga said:

Eyetv was the best TV viewing program in the world, now it is the worst in the world. Why did you buy it from Elgato if you don't want or know how to develop it? Why had to destroy a great product? 😥

In spite of what Geniatech has done, it's still the best.  I've not found anything that has the features that EyeTV has.  I'm retired on a fixed income and it is my main form of entertainment.  Fortunately I live in the UK which has the best English TV programs.

EyeTV 4.0.0 (8518),  Netstream 4Sat (1273)  IP Server 1.1.0-402r1, iMac (2017) Catalina 10.15.2,  3.4 GHz Intel Core i5,   8 GB RAM,   1TB Fusion Drive

Edited by OldGoat

1 hour ago, giga said:

Eyetv was the best TV viewing program in the world, now it is the worst in the world. Why did you buy it from Elgato if you don't want or know how to develop it?

Because Elgato knew very well what it meant to port EyeTV to 64 bit, and that is why they sold it. If Geniatech had not bought it, it would have been dead right now.

Despite its flaws, I think Geniatech did an amazing job modernising EyeTV while maintaining its spirit. I'm sure that it will regain the crown of best TV viewing software with a little bit more polish. I am grateful that they are willing to invest into the effort.

1 hour ago, StephMcB said:

Hi, can anyone assist please.  Do I install the EyeTV 4 software before or after I upgrade to Catalina? Should I remove EyeTV 3 before as well? Thanks for any guidance.

You can update to EyeTV 4 before upgrading to Catalina. You can keep your copy of EyeTV 3 or install EyeTV 4 in a different folder. That way you can try it and decide whether to upgrade to Catalina or stay on Mojave and EyeTV 3.

• Thanks 1

I installed EYETV 4 beta before installing Catalina - everything worked pretty well with a couple of glitches (most likely)  related to the Beta EYETV.  I was able to go back to the previous version of EyeTV with no problems - just make a copy of the old EyeTV before doing the install of the new one.

I then upgraded to Catalina and the Beta EyeTV and finally the released version of EyeTV - everything is working fine now.

Using the Beta EyeTV variants I had problems with "white screen" freezes and program guide scheduling.. 

I am using EyeTV Hybrid with a Mac Mini - the product works great.. I love the way export works now.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:02 PM, MrSpog said:

When will support be added for the Terratec H7. Its the only device I can use with my cable provider.

On 10/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, DM080768 said:

I'm using Terratec H7. Unfortunately this tuner ist not supported. Although somebody wrote in the doodle-list that he used this tuner successfully.

Any information on support for Terratec H7? I would be willing to update the Receiver, but there are non that accept DVB-C with CI-module.

41 minutes ago, M|S said:

Because Elgato knew very well what it meant to port EyeTV to 64 bit, and that is why they sold it. If Geniatech had not bought it, it would have been dead right now.

Despite its flaws, I think Geniatech did an amazing job modernising EyeTV while maintaining its spirit. I'm sure that it will regain the crown of best TV viewing software with a little bit more polish. I am grateful that they are willing to invest into the effort.

Elgato sells EyeTV on February 29th, 2016. So Geniatech had 4 years to upgrade the program to 64 bits. Similarly, Apple a year before MacOS Catalina announced that it only runs 64-bit applications. How is it possible that Geniatech did not complete it in that time? They do the wrong job if they didn't get it done in that time. It's unforgivable!

2 hours ago, StephMcB said:

Hi, can anyone assist please.  Do I install the EyeTV 4 software before or after I upgrade to Catalina? Should I remove EyeTV 3 before as well? Thanks for any guidance.

Hi Steph,

Would suggest using EyeTV reporter (v3) to save your prefs and then uninstall EyeTV 3.  Then do the upgrade to Catalina, Install EyeTV 4 (8518), skip the scan for new channels, close EyeTV 4 and use EyeTV Reporter V4 to restore prefs from the ones you saved.  Start EyeTV and you should be OK but I say that a bit "tongue in cheek" as there have been many problems.  Always have a backup of your initial system to restore from if everything goes pear shaped. 😉

• Thanks 1

re "Exporting"  I've found you can use EyeTV 3 to export EyeTV recordings.   JUST DON'T RUN BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!  I actually booted a Mojave OS from a external disk to test this but you should be OK to do it from the same startup disk.  Just make sure the prefs are the same.  Exported 720 HD and was viewable using Preview app.  

If Geniatech comes out with a new EyeTV 3, I'd be careful about upgrading.

Edited by OldGoat

6 hours ago, M|S said:

Where do you get the information and certainty that Elgato could not have modernized EyeTV and therefore would have let die? I think this very speculative assumption is wrong.

And for sure Geniatech hasn't done a good job so far. They had several years to bring EyeTV to 64 bit and are massively behind schedule like no other software developer I know.

5 hours ago, giga said:

Elgato sells EyeTV on February 29th, 2016. So Geniatech had 4 years to upgrade the program to 64 bits. Similarly, Apple a year before MacOS Catalina announced that it only runs 64-bit applications. How is it possible that Geniatech did not complete it in that time? They do the wrong job if they didn't get it done in that time. It's unforgivable!

Perhaps Geniatech only has one employee for EyeTV 4 and he started learning programming in 2019? ;) According to the motto: ups ... there was still something?

Edited by mattes.hh

10 hours ago, giga said:

PS. Eyetv software for trash and eyetv hybrid tuner also. Goodbye!

I hear your frustration BUT I have had the exact opposite experience with eyeTV 4.  eyeTV now records TV programs, just as it did with eyeTV 3 and lets me play them back on my iMac 27". The only issue I have had with eyeTV 4 is the 8518 release which caused the "stuttering" problem. I was able to go back to eyeTV 4 (8517) using Time Machine.  ( Thank you Apple for Time Machine which has saved me from disaster several times.)

The only thought why some user's experiences are vastly different from mine (i.e. eyeTV 4 is unusable for them) is that they are using different hardware than I am. I don't mean your computer hardware such as which Macintosh (iMac or MacBook) or the type of externalhard drive attached to your computer but the hardware you are getting your TV from.  I am using eyeTV HD which works very well for me.  Others are using eyeTV hybrid, HomeRun HD, or others to connect to their TV signal or cable box.  Other than attaching an eyeTV HD box to my iMac my setup should be similar to yours.

Give the developers time to work out the kinks.  I know when eyeTV 4 will not work for you it is very frustrating. Is it possible to go back to your eyeTV 3 setup for the time being.  You can keep watching the forums to monitor the progress of the developers.  When you feel enough progress has been made to eyeTV 4 you can try again.  Don't give up.  In the short while I have been observing this forum, I have witnessed eyeTV 4 move from a barely usable program (crashing) to a program that works well for several users on this forum, not all users but the developers are getting there.  I see good progress with eyeTV 4 development, maybe not the swift progress some would like, but definitely good progress.

Be patient.  A month ago I thought there was a good possibility eyeTV 4 would never be completed. Be patient.

After the last update (29/12/19) the Product the EYE TV 4 64 bit key no longer works. after doing some research to get a NEW key it will cost me $40 Australian dollars (converted from Euro). I have already purchased EYE TV 3 with lifetime updates. WHY would I buy another key? its hardly "lifetime updates if I have to buy another key. tried contacting Geniatech EyeTV Support Team NO LUCK. 

Well Beejay, you should buy another key because of the fact that EYE TV 4 isn't an update but an upgrade. It's no unusual practice to pay for Upgrades. Of course you may use your EYE TV 3 in all your lifetime as promised!

(Btw: This does not mean that I agree to all the behavior of Geniatech!)

Edited by senni