Mikyesun

Eyetv 4.x for Mac 64 - bit (public beta + preview)

6 hours ago, mattes.hh said:

I have not been able to observe that EyeTV 3 under Mojave was faster for me than EyeTV 4 under Catalina

Well, I have 🙂 ... This is EyeTV 3.6.9 running under Mojave:

886429975_Skarmavbild2019-12-30kl_23_09_29.png.89beccd66359341c8fbcf43be46c6c24.png

On 12/29/2019 at 5:13 AM, M|S said:

Because Elgato knew very well what it meant to port EyeTV to 64 bit, and that is why they sold it. If Geniatech had not bought it, it would have been dead right now.

Despite its flaws, I think Geniatech did an amazing job modernising EyeTV while maintaining its spirit. I'm sure that it will regain the crown of best TV viewing software with a little bit more polish. I am grateful that they are willing to invest into the effort.

I think some people are confused about eyeTV v4. The HORRIBLE beta is now GONE. We have v4 proper now! I'm glad the reincarnated v4 is just as good as v3. I had feared they'd mess with it like in the beta versions. So a big thanks to the Chinese programmers to save the day! And v4 plays nicely on my LAN with older Macs (dedicated TVs) under v3. Just brilliant!

On 12/27/2019 at 6:12 PM, Canuck said:

I couldn't get EyeTV 4 to work for me. Kept crashing at the point in SetUp Assistant where it asks you to plug in your device. I tried various things, plugging it in before launching EyeTV 4, rebooting my computer, etc. to no avail. At that point I contacted GeniaTech support and after they had more information, I was told my Elgato EyeTV Hybrid is very old and that I should request a refund of the purchase of the 64 bit software. I'm in Canada and my EyeTV Hybrid worked just fine before I upgraded to Catalina. Part of the reason I delayed upgrading my OS was waiting for the new EyeTV software only to find out, after the fact, that it won't work for me. Anyone in North America with an older EyeTV device be forewarned.

Hi Canuck, I got in touch with Geniatech Support and after sending a screenshot of my EyeTV Hybrid they concluded that my EyeTV Hybrid is too old, so I need to buy a new product (I got a discount code). This explains the software problems.

297304442_ScreenShot2019-12-27at11_35_19.thumb.png.2af27b6d57d74f796c344cf6a1ef8a0c.png

In Belgium there is no more DVB-T and no plans for DVB-T2. Only via cable you can watch TV or listen to the radio. Conclusion: I'm thinking about a new EyeTV Hybrid since EyeTV T2 Hybrid has no sense (at the moment) and I only connect via cable.

Edited by corradomac

2 hours ago, corradomac said:

Hi Canuck, I got in touch with Geniatech Support and after sending a screenshot of my EyeTV Hybrid they concluded that my EyeTV Hybrid is too old, so I need to buy a new product (I got a discount code). This explains the software problems.

I have tried to get in contact with support for over a year and never heard back.

I'm in the US.  I just downloaded EyeTV4 and installed it on Catalina 15.1. EyeTV3 is also installed on that machine.   before installing I connected my old EyeTV 250 Plus to a USB port.  I ran the installer and it proceeded normally.  at the screen where I was prompted to say what my hardware was, the drop-down menu offered all the options that I was familiar with on EyeTV3 (maybe the eyetv4 installer picked up the prefs file from the eyetv3 install?)

anyway, channel search found all the over-the-air channels I was expecting, and after going through the menus for a second I found how to switch to the composite input, which also works.

the first thing I noticed that is gone from ver 4 is the small recording "gadget" that shows up in the upper right of the computer screen when launching ver 3, which showed the channel or other input, had a Record button, and arrow keys to change the channels.  is that still there somewhere?

the download link provided after my purchase downloaded 8517.  shortly after install, the auto updater offered 8518.    I need to copy 8517 to a CD before I allow the auto updater to do its job.

tomorrow I will try my EyeTV HD, but someone else here has already reported success with that hardware.

so far, so good.

Edited by faithie999

22 hours ago, BruceB said:

Well, I have 🙂 ... This is EyeTV 3.6.9 running under Mojave:

886429975_Skarmavbild2019-12-30kl_23_09_29.png.89beccd66359341c8fbcf43be46c6c24.png

with the same window size, the same resolution and deinterlace settings? I never was at a CPU load at 12% mit EyeTV 3 on my iMac. Perhaps with no deinterlace

5 hours ago, mattes.hh said:

with the same window size, the same resolution and deinterlace settings? I never was at a CPU load at 12% mit EyeTV 3 on my iMac. Perhaps with no deinterlace

Yep! Except for the OS, "everything equal". For testing of new software I have "naked" copies of the latest and greatest versions of High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina on external disks. Nothing but the OS and the PUT (Program Under Test), that is.

Since the Betas were so rough I am hesitant to buy the release version outright without a trial. 
Can someone tell me if it is possible in the release to manually sort channels in a channel list? This was never working in the Betas and this is a no go for me. 

Geniatech team, before spending 30 € for a new version of the software, I would like to know if the problems with some DTT channels in Italy, already reported in version 3, have been solved.

Italian users in this forum, do you have problems with microlag/stuttering audio/video like me with RAI channels and some others?

Thanks

Edited by BonGio75

I am trying my first edit with EyeTV4.  I see the "fine" and "coarse" buttons, but I would think I should be able to grab the white vertical (very thin) progress bar to quickly navigate through the timeline.  the only thing I can seem to do is click the "fast forward" button to advance the cursor at 16X.

am I missing something?

thanks

What about the German AAC Audio encoded Services? 

I can only hear the Background Audio - No Dialog! ARD for example.

I find out that Eyetv has the same Problem back in 2017 !?

But now in Germany we have all the HD Channels with Surround often coded in AAC...

regards

12 minutes ago, Schnittwerk said:

What about the German AAC Audio encoded Services? 

I can only hear the Background Audio - No Dialog! ARD for example.

I find out that Eyetv has the same Problem back in 2017 !?

But now in Germany we have all the HD Channels with Surround often coded in AAC...

regards

If you have the "debug" menu item (to the right of "Help") try changing the Audio Decoder to AAC MC.

4 hours ago, faithie999 said:

I am trying my first edit with EyeTV4.  I see the "fine" and "coarse" buttons, but I would think I should be able to grab the white vertical (very thin) progress bar to quickly navigate through the timeline.  the only thing I can seem to do is click the "fast forward" button to advance the cursor at 16X.

am I missing something?

You have to click slightly above the playhead to be able to drag it.

• Thanks 1

I can confirm that the EyeTV HD device works fine with EyeTV4.

since neither of  my devices, the above and the EyeTV 250 plus, are shown as compatible with EyeTV4,  but both work, might reflect the limited time the developers had to test older input devices (or maybe didn't have access in a timely fashion to many of them).

Edited by faithie999

16 hours ago, BruceB said:

Yep! Except for the OS, "everything equal". For testing of new software I have "naked" copies of the latest and greatest versions of High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina on external disks. Nothing but the OS and the PUT (Program Under Test), that is.

Whoopsie! Something (good?) has happened with EyeTV 4(8518) while running on my "production machine" for a few days. The shot was taken while EyeTV was recording a program with Joe Labero. (Wonder if he spelled some magic over my computer... :-) ) Will have to walk through the logs to see if anything spectacular has happened...

726423701_Skarmavbild2020-01-02kl_02_08_12.png.75444e1e0c17604219749ae8b08484ee.png

You call your software final? Well, it is at least a final nightmare. After extensive test of your 'final' version on my main computer everything looked good. But as soon as I decided to purchase a second license for my laptop this @!%&$@#% "29-minute"-bug is back. This time on both of my computers at the same time.. No recording is possible anymore beyond this time limit.
So, on MacOS Catalina (10.15.2), latest version of your software, and after paying almost 60 €, I am now of worse of than with EyeTV 3 on 10.14.x. Get rid of this fucking bug. And check why it appears as soon as I purchase and use a second license of EyeTV 4 on the same network! Have you ever even looked at this possible source of the problem?

And yes, I am extremely frustrated, because I have helped you to find the reason for this stupid bugs for two years now in every possible way. Including letting you access my computer. Check my profile!

😡

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-02 um 06.29.57.jpg

Edited by JanG

On 12/31/2019 at 4:36 PM, corradomac said:

297304442_ScreenShot2019-12-27at11_35_19.thumb.png.2af27b6d57d74f796c344cf6a1ef8a0c.png

In Belgium there is no more DVB-T and no plans for DVB-T2. Only via cable you can watch TV or listen to the radio. Conclusion: I'm thinking about a new EyeTV Hybrid since EyeTV T2 Hybrid has no sense (at the moment) and I only connect via cable.

Strange, I can still use my EyeTV Hybrid in cable mode here in Germany. It has the same firmware version of 1.0.0, but a slightly higher serial number in the 105...-range. I use it connected directly to a USB-port of my 2014 mac mini, not on an USB-hub.

I am sure you already tried a complete new station scan...

Good luck!

2110761467_Bildschirmfoto2020-01-02um13_16_00.png.bf2bf0bca2db2cc27bf50126f1ae44b3.png

Edited by azamanis

On 12/31/2019 at 4:36 PM, corradomac said:

Hi Canuck, I got in touch with Geniatech Support and after sending a screenshot of my EyeTV Hybrid they concluded that my EyeTV Hybrid is too old, so I need to buy a new product (I got a discount code). This explains the software problems.In Belgium there is no more DVB-T and no plans for DVB-T2. Only via cable you can watch TV or listen to the radio. Conclusion: I'm thinking about a new EyeTV Hybrid since EyeTV T2 Hybrid has no sense (at the moment) and I only connect via cable.

I
I honestly can't imagine that the stick is too old. I also have DVB-C and use three hybrid sticks on two Macs with 10.15.2 / 8518 and one of them, measured by the serial number, is older than your hybrid stick.
The two "newer", serial no. 100xxx and 120xxx, run on a 2009 Mini directly at the USB port and the "older", serial no. 090xxx, on a 2013 iMac, connected to a USB hub.
Nevertheless, I had no problems installing or operating it.

On 1/1/2020 at 11:35 PM, RennefJ said:

Since the Betas were so rough I am hesitant to buy the release version outright without a trial. 
Can someone tell me if it is possible in the release to manually sort channels in a channel list? This was never working in the Betas and this is a no go for me. 

It's all good. Very close to v3, none of the terrible interface ideas in the betas.

15 hours ago, JanG said:

You call your software final? Well, it is at least a final nightmare. After extensive test of your 'final' version on my main computer everything looked good. But as soon as I decided to purchase a second license for my laptop this @!%&$@#% "29-minute"-bug is back. This time on both of my computers at the same time.. No recording is possible anymore beyond this time limit.

Lacking an official statement, one can only speculate. My take on this is that it is not a bug but a deliberate feature to counteract piracy of the app. Potentially the second key somehow triggers it (that could be called a bug..). I use one key for all my Mac on my home LAN and all is fine. They have an app that 'clean uninstalls' an installation. I would try this on both Macs, then reinstall with same serial key.

https://www.geniatech.eu/download/eyetv-reporter-64-bit/

Edited by jimmo

Hi,

Just upgraded to EYETV 4 Mac (because I had to) and now find that my activation key doesn't work. The next key is greyed out. Please don't tell me that GeniaTech are trying to make me pay for what is a mandatory software upgrade? I am using EYETV Diversity. 

11 minutes ago, JayPeeJay said:

Hi,

Just upgraded to EYETV 4 Mac (because I had to) and now find that my activation key doesn't work. The next key is greyed out. Please don't tell me that GeniaTech are trying to make me pay for what is a mandatory software upgrade? I am using EYETV Diversity. 

Agreed on the compulsory payment of 25 euro to continue using the same old hardware on Mac Catalina is ridiculous.

There should be a free software version supplied to all current owners of EyeTV hardware, and its easy to check the database with those currently registered as owners.

All the old beta trails have stopped working so there seems no option other than to pay for the dodgy upgrade. Or cease using EyeTV completely.

Extortion? is that the correct word here?

EyeTV do the right thing and supply a free WORKING upgrade. NOW

21 hours ago, JanG said:

So, on MacOS Catalina (10.15.2), latest version of your software, and after paying almost 60 €, I am now of worse of than with EyeTV 3 on 10.14.x. Get rid of this fucking bug. And check why it appears as soon as I purchase and use a second license of EyeTV 4 on the same network! Have you ever even looked at this possible source of the problem?

And yes, I am extremely frustrated, because I have helped you to find the reason for this stupid bugs for two years now in every possible way. Including letting you access my computer. Check my profile!

😡

21 hours ago, JanG said:

😡

Hi JanG,

I am sorry your experience of EyeTV 4 has been so poor and that you can not get it to run bug-free.

I have not experienced any of the bugs you describe.  EyeTV 4 on my computer has been bug-free, running as I have expected.  The set-up I am using is-> iMac 27 inch running Catalina MacOS 10.15.2.  I am using EyeTV 4 (8517) and  EyeTVHD. (which does not include a TV tuner) plugged into a cable box (from the cable company). The cable box is used to change the channels.

Maybe EyeTV 4 works for me as my needs are simple.  I input all of my programs manually. addingthe date and the start and stop time for the recordings.

I am not sure why you are experiencing so much difficulty with EyeTV4 (8517).  On my computer EyeTV runs better than EyeTV 3.  EyeTV4 does everything I want a DVR to do on my Mac.

I wonder if it would be useful to look into why EyeTV 4 works well for some users and why for other it works so poorly.  Could the reason for different end user experiences be located. Is something some users are doing or not doing effecting the performance of EyeTV4?

When I read the experience of users such as JanG he dose not seem to be describing the same EyeTV 4 program I am running. I do not experience any of the bugs he reports.

Can we try to figure out why end users have such varried experiences with EyeTV 4, some go and some poor?

I don't understand why your experience of EyeTV4 should be so much different than mine.  I am very happy with the way Eyetv4 runs on my Mac.