lenn5

Safe to buy Eyetv 4 app from Geniatech?

I've been using EyeTv 3 for many, many years. I just use it to record a few OTA shows. I just got an Apple refurbished M1 MBP running Ventura and would like to use Eyetv 4 with it but have been reading posts where people have bought the app but never heard back from the company with their software key. Is it safe to but this app from Geniatech???

Long time EyeTV user here.

I don't know about recent months, but I bought EyeTV 4 last October and got the activation key a few minutes after I received the invoice (separate emails). If you have an Geniatech store login, log in first. If not, create an account.

I only record OTA shows using iMac Retina 5K 27-inch 2017, macOS Catalina (10.15.7). I use XMLTV Listings for the EPG program data.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 12:02 PM, pdhill77 said:

Will the program guide work?  I have been without it since August 2022.

No, the program guide Geniatech used to sell (I think a new purchase of EyeTV still comes with 30 days subscription) will not work. That service is dead and gone.

I'm at a point where I need to get some new software that will not run on my old existing Macs.  If I upgrade the OS, they will not be able to run EyeTV3.   Upgrading the OS and running EyeTV4 looks like a serious mess.   I'd love to put some $$ in the pockets of Geniatech for EyeTV4 just to be a 64-bit version of EyeTV3.  I don't understand their strategy.  Did they acquire the software to support their hardware or are they doing software for its own profit?  This forum was a really good sign of commitment, but then they just could not carry through.  They don't even know how to properly update version numbers for point releases!

If the goal is to support their hardware, maybe the best bet is to open source the product and just make sure support for their stuff is maintained.  Maybe an existing project would subsume EyeTV?  (It feels like a single committed programmer or two could have made a difference over a couple of years.)   Or maybe work out a deal with a going concern like Silicon Dust for joint development supporting both product lines, or something.   EyeTV is different and complimentary to the software SD seems to be offering.

I've had to replace my old Mac (it finally bit the dust), and I've been looking for the location to purchase EyeTV 4. I cannot find it in their product listings. I found the tech support page where I can download a copy of it, but I don't see any way to purchase it. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I don't see any way to purchase EyeTV 3 or the EPG, either. Is Geniatech no longer selling the software or the EPG? My old software doesn't work with Maverick, which is what my "new" Mac runs, so I'm sort of panicking. Does anyone know of any other TV recording software that will run on a Mac? The last time I looked a MythTV, it had sort of fallen apart, and the Mac version was at a dead-end.

I would appreciate any answers, as I'm missing my shows.