stq66

Extend recording time no longer honoured

Does some experience the same problem with the current version of EyeTV3?

I set in the recording panel the "Extend recordings" to 10 mins before and 15 mins after the scheduled time, however this is no longer honoured.

Just about three minutes in advance and more or less sharp at the end, so that I am missing more and more recordings at the end.

This is EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528) on macOS Mojave 10.14.5 & 10.14.6

Yes, I had the same problem, it worked for a while and then stop working. I installed yesterday an older version of EyeTV (7524) and it seems to work Ok:

• Thanks 1

Same here.

I put generally 20 minutes before and after the schedule. 
I tried to put more (30 minutes) and I then got 10 minutes before and after...

Strange behaviour.

One thing that would shorten the before/after padding is, of course,  if there are recording overlaps that exceed the number of tuners available.  For example, if there is only one tuner, and one recording immediately follows another recording, then neither program can be padded.

I have also had a situation where my HdHomeRun tuners temporarily stopped working and needed to be power-cycled.  In that case, the EyeTV software gave no warning but just behaved as if the single EyeTV tuner was the only tuner there.

Had the same problem with EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528) on an old MacBook Pro (late 2008) running Mac OS X 10.8.5. Plus: the Mac wouldn't go to sleep mode anymore. Tried all the usual maintenance routines including SMC-Reset, PRAM-Reset, clearing all caches and so on - but to no avail.

Downgrading to 7524 (thanks to ThoSchl for steering me in that direction) solved both problems. 

18 hours ago, Nakrul said:

I am having the same problem too, will there be a bugfix release in the near future?

I suspect that geniatech is focused on getting the 64 bit version up and running and I suspect that v3 is now abandoned..so yes, I suspect v4 will fix this issue.

On 10/21/2019 at 3:59 PM, bilzabub said:

I suspect that geniatech is focused on getting the 64 bit version up and running and I suspect that v3 is now abandoned..so yes, I suspect v4 will fix this issue.

Good luck with that. I suspect v4 has been abandoned. In the UK I find it completely unusable as in almost all cases, it bakes narration audio into the soundtrack.

Thank you to rtraill and v8pasi!

On 2/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, ripple said:

Good luck with that. I suspect v4 has been abandoned. In the UK I find it completely unusable as in almost all cases, it bakes narration audio into the soundtrack.

Thank you to rtraill and v8pasi!

In my defense,  that post was a year and a half ago before Eyetv 4 was even released.

and I gave up on Geniatech and am now happily running a Tablo

I only recently migrated to Mojave, hoping to keep 32 bits EyeTV 3 running (EyeTV 4 users feedback is still disastrous...).

I had to migrate to EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528), to avoid annoying “frozen windows” when running a movie full screen with EyeTV 3.6.9 (7524).

And thus, I was also victim of the “no more extended recording time” bug.

I however found a workaround, although it is a bit painful :

- start EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528)

- open EyeTV/Preferences/Storage window

- set Start -> 0

- set End -> 0

- close EyeTV/Preferences/Storage window

- open AGAIN EyeTV/Preferences/Storage window

- set Start -> 15 (or your value)

- set End -> 30 (or your value)

- close EyeTV/Preferences/Storage window

=> EXTENDED RECORDING WORKS AGAIN !

Unfortunately, it works only UNTIL you Quit EyeTV, then you have to do it again after EyeTV restarts.

I suppose one could program an Apple script with does that every time EyeTV starts again… volunteers welcomed…  😏

On 3/2/2021 at 8:17 AM, bilzabub said:

In my defense,  that post was a year and a half ago before Eyetv 4 was even released.

and I gave up on Geniatech and am now happily running a Tablo

I'm looking into Tablo. From what I read, it looks like you give up the ability to edit your recordings, and export them to another computer for further processing. Currently, I trim (or compact) my recordings, then I export them and compress them with Handbrake, into MP4, which is a lot faster than the built-in compression of EyeTV, and provides a better quality outcome. I then copy the files over to my media center computer, and watch them using Kodi. I'm awaiting the Tablo support team to give me some answers. But it looks like Tablo won't fit into my multimedia setup without some serious changes. And I'll end up with my old system for watching my older recordings and all my other media, and the Tablo for watching only my newer recordings. I'd like to just replace EyeTV with a similar functioning device, with the same flexibility for editing and exporting videos. Customer support at Tablo doesn't appear to be interested in answering my questions.