PickleRick

How do you encode your videos?

Years ago, I decided to use Handbrake to encode my recordings; they look better and the files are smaller.  I would export from EyeTV as a MPEG program stream, then re-encode the file with Handbrake.  At some point, this stopped working properly - frames were being dropped occasionally.  Does anyone have a better way?

@PickleRick

Why first exporting? You can handbrake let open the package directly. So no need for an extra step.

I have no problem whatsoever with Handbrake. Is you problem maybe that your Mac is overloaded?

13 hours ago, Ton said:

Why first exporting? You can handbrake let open the package directly.

D'oh!  I didn't know that!  Just tried it and it worked like a dream!  Thanks!

I've had quite a few problems with dropped frames in EyeTV (7528) using an HDHomeRun Quatro HDHR5-4US tuner: the only software I found to check the .mpg file inside EyeTV archive is MPEGStreamClip which reports timecode breaks (e.g.: dropped frames) and will try to fix the stream file.

I find the HDHomeRun DVR solution on a NAS more reliable: I can set that DVR and EyeTV both to record the same show and frequently I see timecode breaks in the EyeTV recording, but not in the HDHomeRun DVR recording.  Both systems are connected via LAN cables to the same gigabit switch as the HDHomeRun tuner, so I haven't a clue what's wrong with EyeTV.

It's tedious, but my current process with EyeTV recordings is

- edit clip in EyeTV (this editor is the only reason why I still use EyeTV, since the guide no longer contains season numbering info)

- test archive file .mpg stream with MPEGStreamClip, then Export as MPEG if timecode breaks need fixing - else export as MPEG in EyeTV

- convert in HandBrake

Some day I'll get a life! :)

Edited by chuckles67

thanks jpmist27,  I've always wondered how well those things work.. also on a similar note,  I use Quicktime Pro 7 to open the compressed movies and cut commercials out,  what are people using now that Quicktime Pro is obsolete.. I know you can use the newer quicktime, but I've found it glitchy, and it wasn't to re-encode the videos after they have been edited.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:52 AM, chuckles67 said:

I've had quite a few problems with dropped frames in EyeTV (7528) using an HDHomeRun Quatro HDHR5-4US tuner: the only software I found to check the .mpg file inside EyeTV archive is MPEGStreamClip which reports timecode breaks (e.g.: dropped frames) and will try to fix the stream file.

I find the HDHomeRun DVR solution on a NAS more reliable: I can set that DVR and EyeTV both to record the same show and frequently I see timecode breaks in the EyeTV recording, but not in the HDHomeRun DVR recording.  Both systems are connected via LAN cables to the same gigabit switch as the HDHomeRun tuner, so I haven't a clue what's wrong with EyeTV.

It's tedious, but my current process with EyeTV recordings is

- edit clip in EyeTV (this editor is the only reason why I still use EyeTV, since the guide no longer contains season numbering info)

- test archive file .mpg stream with MPEGStreamClip, then Export as MPEG if timecode breaks need fixing - else export as MPEG in EyeTV

- convert in HandBrake

Some day I'll get a life! :)

What settings are you using in Handbrake, and how are you loading the metadata? I want to put them into iTunes/TV App, but to work right, I need the metadata.