nicoarad@yahoo.com

Eye TV 4 + Catalina = failure

I recently installed Catalina and Eye TV 4 on my machine. As a result the recordings cannot be played with any player, Quick Time or VLC. Before, with Mojave OS and Eye TV 3.6.9, there were no problems. Also, during exporting the recorded file, the live TV streaming produced countless still images, a sign that the HW was overloaded. This phenomenon didn't occurred before, as well. As a conclusion: the box together with it's new SW is useless!

EyeTV c4 produced a .TS file which can be played by most available video players. I myself use mainly Movist (=free) which plays nearly all formats.

So the problem lies with Quick Timed not EyeTV.

PS: you can always convert to .MKV with Handbrake and you have the format most around.

Edited by Ton

With eye TV. 3.6.9 the file was saved as mp4 and could be played by any player.With Eye TV 4 the file is saved as avi. I changed however the file extension to .ts also, but the file simply won’t open 

There is no problem wirh the file extension but with the content of the file itself.

Name a ftp server and I will upload the 6.5 GB file, if you want to try to open it....

From one day to another, using the same machine but with Catalina and Eye TV 4 the box became useless...

As Ton mentioned, convert the version 4 recorded file format with Handbrake to mp4. It works for me; I have made several recordings and transferred them to my iPad. There are other problems with the EPG but they are separate.

Thank you very much for your answers! Unfortunately Handbrake cannot open the recorded eye tv files either (unsupported file)

Eye  TV Support acknowledged that for now the exported files cannot be opened with any third party player (see att. picture):

"Thanks for your explanation. It is very clear. The exported eyetv file from EyeTV 4 does not support playing by the third party player for now. This issue has been passed on to the R&D center."

For me, EYE TV 4 is useless for the following reasons:

-scheduled recording doesn't work. Recording simply doesn't start

-recorded files cannot be played with any other player but the Eye TV embedded one. Thus exporting has no meaning... Insane...

-"Eye TV Reporter" doesn't work with Eye TV 4.Reports cannot be generated in order to be sent to Geniatech.

-Eye TV 4 frequently starts unable to load any video content. Requires restart, again and again.

Finally, Eye TV 4 has so many major bugs that it can be considered a crap!

As you guess, nobody from support or R&D Dept. (Research and Development?) doesn't give a $hit to fix this issues. They simply ignore them...

Sad...

Eye TV recorded file answer.jpg

On 12/27/2019 at 4:07 PM, nicoarad@yahoo.com said:

Thank you very much for your answers! Unfortunately Handbrake cannot open the recorded eye tv files either (unsupported file)

Eye  TV Support acknowledged that for now the exported files cannot be opened with any third party player (see att. picture):

"Thanks for your explanation. It is very clear. The exported eyetv file from EyeTV 4 does not support playing by the third party player for now. This issue has been passed on to the R&D center."

For me, EYE TV 4 is useless for the following reasons:

-scheduled recording doesn't work. Recording simply doesn't start

-recorded files cannot be played with any other player but the Eye TV embedded one. Thus exporting has no meaning... Insane...

-"Eye TV Reporter" doesn't work with Eye TV 4.Reports cannot be generated in order to be sent to Geniatech.

-Eye TV 4 frequently starts unable to load any video content. Requires restart, again and again.

Finally, Eye TV 4 has so many major bugs that it can be considered a crap!

As you guess, nobody from support or R&D Dept. (Design and Development?) doesn't give a $hit to fix this issues. They simply ignore them...

Sad...

Eye TV recorded file answer.jpg

The problem is not in EyeTV, it's in the new extremely strict security and privacy settings that are new to macOS 10.15 Catalina.Catalina needs the 64 bit version of the EyeTV version, the one that has been panned. 10.14 will work fine with EyeTV 3. 

Thanks for your post. Someone else on the forum solved the problem for me. Go to your home folder > EyeTV Archive (or whichever folder you have selected to place EyeTV Archive) where you will find a list of scheduled and recorded programmes. Select the programme you wish to download and right or control click on it. A file menu opens and from this click on "Show Package Contents". A panel opens containing a list of files and folders the last of which will be the programme. You can tell by the file size and that it is in MPEG format. Drag that file to Handbrake, select the desired quality and conversion speed and then click the green start button. Handbrake will convert the programme file to .mp4 format which can then be added to the TV app, downloaded to an ipad etc. I hope that helps.