Clive W

Many problems with EyeTV 4

Despite the many months in beta, the newly released EyeTV 4 software is still woefully underdeveloped. Many, many bugs have persisted from the beta stages to the initial release, including: Arrow keys no longer work to scroll through the channel list. The aspect ratio doesn't change with the programme in full screen - if watching a show in 4:3, the ad break will be squashed or, if you start watching whilst the ads are on, the programme will stay stretched. Switching out of full screen view doesn't work, switching to some strange, random scale. Most annoyingly of all, the mouse cursor stays visible at all times, even in full screen view.

To release and charge money for such inadequately developed software is a disgrace and Geniatech should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. If you want to have any use at all of your EyeTV hardware, you're forced to pay for this 'upgrade' and put up with an inadequate and underdeveloped bit of software. I hope that development continues at a rapid pace to dramatically improve this software so we can eventually enjoy TV on our Macs in the way we used to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another bug in latest RC:

EyeTV 4.0.0 (8518)

If the EyeTV app is running idle (no window open) in the background, the mac will never go into the sleep mode.

The EyeTV app should not block the mac sleep mode, if no recording is running.

Is the EyeTV remote control not working for anyone else? I have just upgraded and paid for the new software, but the remote seems to be dead now. The hardware is the same so I cannot see why.

I can however sort the channels.

I bought eyeTV4 three days ago after my update to Catalina. MacBook Pro 15in 2017 3.1.

I been using eye TV 2 and 3 for the last twelve years.

I spent hours trying to edit recordings in version 4. No chance. Frustrating.

How can a simple and easy to use function be altered in such an anti-intuitive way?

If only there would be a video tutorial.

Best, ...

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bernie said:

And this is one hour later. And I tried, and I tried, and I tried and I tried.

Ive also spent many hours trying to edit multiple sections out of a video recording. It was a doddle on EyeTV 3. I'm sure they didn't remove this functionality, so where is the manual? What is the scissor icon for. It bleeps every time I press it.

16 hours ago, Bernie said:

And this is one hour later. And I tried, and I tried, and I tried and I tried.

Hi Bernie,

I created a small manual ... 'EyeTV 4.0 Video Edit' ....

I hope it helps.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zanc said:

Ive also spent many hours trying to edit multiple sections out of a video recording. It was a doddle on EyeTV 3. I'm sure they didn't remove this functionality, so where is the manual? What is the scissor icon for. It bleeps every time I press it.

Hi Zanc,

I created a small manual ... 'EyeTV 4.0 Video Edit' ....

I hope it helps.

I need a manual since the software when it comes to editing video has changed.  How do I initiate a marker it was all so easy in Eyetv 3.  I cannot figure how to edit a recorded video which was so easy in EyeTV3.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:20 PM, zanc said:

Well after a bit more time, I have now worked out how to edit recordings. The problem seems to be with the vertical red/white line - I did not know the semantics of the colour. For the cut to work you have to position the white line and then the cut applied. Separate sections can then be highlighted and deleted or segments selected at the beginning or end of the segment and dragged. However, the selections for the white line and the segment end is hyper sensitive to pointing the cursor at the correct location and it can be very difficult to make the selection. Also, if you want to edit a very small section from the beginning of the recording it is very difficult and after many attempts I eventually succeeded by accident.

Hello there. Eyetv 4 for me works smoothly with not enough problems. My main problem is that it works fine with digital channels, but when I change it to view an analog channel it always crashes. I am with an eyetv Hybrid device.

Does anyone else has the same problem?

EyeTv 4 seems to be far from ready for release. I'm running EyeTV Sat via Mac OS Catalina and it keeps losing picture and sound - I have to quit then reload for it to work again. Also, I've given up creating a playlist in order of usage (not user-friendly at all!), and Program Guide doesn't describe all channels (i.e. blank). On the plus side I've been able to regain Bloomberg TV which converted to 64-bit about 18 months ago.

Why the wait until 64-bit operating systems were widely available before panicking and rushing out what can only be described as a botched version of Version 3, and having the nerve to charge for it? At this stage in global software development, it's quite unforgivable.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:00 PM, Bernie said:

I bought eyeTV4 three days ago after my update to Catalina. MacBook Pro 15in 2017 3.1.

I been using eye TV 2 and 3 for the last twelve years.

I spent hours trying to edit recordings in version 4. No chance. Frustrating.

How can a simple and easy to use function be altered in such an anti-intuitive way?

If only there would be a video tutorial.

Best, ...

On 12/29/2019 at 11:20 PM, zanc said:

The functionality is still there, it's just a little different.

Open recording you wish to edit.

From the Toolbar, select View > Open Editor. Editing bar will open beneath the main recording window (Pic 1 Highlighted in Yellow)

Inside the Editor, click the + Magnify to open a more detailed Frames 'Scrub' Preview (Pic 2 - Highlighted)

Drag the Recording Start Marker to the start point of the recording you want to save. Select the correct Start Frame from the Scrub Preview for more accuracy. The Editor Play Head (White Line) will move with the Start Marker.

Once selected:

Click Fast Forward (FF) >> in the player, to scrub through the frames. Click FF >> again to stop (Pic 1 - Highlighted). I haven't found a way of manually scrubbing through frames. Once you get roughly where you want with >>. You can drag the play head, the White line which turns red once Cut (or Trim) is made (Highlighted in Pic 3) to the correct point for greater accuracy (or select the correct Frame from the Scrub line).

Click Scissors at point you wish to Cut recording. A New 'Start Marker' point is created, which can be dragged to the next sequence you wish to 'save from'. Drag the new Start Marker to the next point you wish to save from. Once selected, repeat the FF >> scrub through until the next 'save point'. Once selected, click Scissors. Repeat until you have selected the sections you want saved (The Blue bits). (Pic 3 - Highlighted)

Finally use the End Marker and Drag to the end point of your recording.

Once done, Click the 3 Dots at the bottom right of the editor and select Compact.

A Warning window appears showing you the areas which will be removed (Greyed out bits where the 'Cuts' have been made) beneath shows the saved areas as a 'compacted' recording (All the blue bits together) . Click Ok / Compact to proceed.

When compacting is complete, you have your edited file.

I didn't have anything recorded with ads to edit out, but hopefully the attached images give some idea.

Hope this helps.Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 11.37.29.png

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 11.37.57.png

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 11.37.47.png

Edited by Dee Cee

eyetv 4 build 8518 is still not ready yet, so many bugs, buffering is a problem playback is a problem.

and how about the interface is  not that very appealing like eyetv 3 was much better 

no remote anymore on disktop.

so to developers please do something about this fix this its great that you guys make the 64bit version I'm and I think everyone els are happy like me but its still not like eyetv3, eyetv 3 is  stable.

and speciale the interface its good that there are no borders anymore but the buffering area in eyetv 3 was much better to controle and the remote on desktop had so fast acces to eyetv and now is a hassle to find everything;

#kev.

On 12/29/2019 at 12:28 PM, ReiVilo said:

I can't manage to export a recorded video. Whatever the format I select, I can't read the exported video. 

Any help? Thank you!

I just bought the Eyetv 4 and have the same issue.... what a shame buying for a software that does not do the minimum expected. It was the same in the Beta version and nothing has changed.

Many issues for me too...  Such a shame as I have used this software for over 10 years and love it....  I am thinking of upgrading OS so installed and paid for!!  eyeTV4, still using Mojave on an i7 3GHz and HD recording judder, record one HD channel and try to watch another and both unwatchable...  I set it up to use my 4SAT but it insists on using my homerun tuner!!

Buggy, massively processor intensive and NOT ready for sale, I have wasted a day trying to get this woefully inadequate release working! Surely we should be entitled to refunds!

Thankfully I have restored my V3 backup and all is well again, think it is time to switch to channels. This would not have happened under Elgato!  

Anyone actually got it working and HAPPY with it?

On 1/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, Dee Cee said:

The functionality is still there, it's just a little different.

Open recording you wish to edit.

From the Toolbar, select View > Open Editor. Editing bar will open beneath the main recording window (Pic 1 Highlighted in Yellow)

Inside the Editor, click the + Magnify to open a more detailed Frames 'Scrub' Preview (Pic 2 - Highlighted)

Drag the Recording Start Marker to the start point of the recording you want to save. Select the correct Start Frame from the Scrub Preview for more accuracy. The Editor Play Head (White Line) will move with the Start Marker.

Once selected:

Click Fast Forward (FF) >> in the player, to scrub through the frames. Click FF >> again to stop (Pic 1 - Highlighted). I haven't found a way of manually scrubbing through frames. Once you get roughly where you want with >>. You can drag the play head, the White line which turns red once Cut (or Trim) is made (Highlighted in Pic 3) to the correct point for greater accuracy (or select the correct Frame from the Scrub line).

Click Scissors at point you wish to Cut recording. A New 'Start Marker' point is created, which can be dragged to the next sequence you wish to 'save from'. Drag the new Start Marker to the next point you wish to save from. Once selected, repeat the FF >> scrub through until the next 'save point'. Once selected, click Scissors. Repeat until you have selected the sections you want saved (The Blue bits). (Pic 3 - Highlighted)

Finally use the End Marker and Drag to the end point of your recording.

Once done, Click the 3 Dots at the bottom right of the editor and select Compact.

A Warning window appears showing you the areas which will be removed (Greyed out bits where the 'Cuts' have been made) beneath shows the saved areas as a 'compacted' recording (All the blue bits together) . Click Ok / Compact to proceed.

When compacting is complete, you have your edited file.

I didn't have anything recorded with ads to edit out, but hopefully the attached images give some idea.

Hope this helps.Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 11.37.29.png

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 11.37.57.png

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 11.37.47.png

I did work this out in the end, but a few words and pictures like you supplied above would have been appreciated. I'm sure that a proper software development company would have created the necessary functional and  design documentation that could have been used to create a suitable user manual. I'd expect better support from a set of schoolboy hackers

I'm going crazy with this program soon.
Can someone tell me why I can't create my own formats so that I can save the films in AppleTv? I tried everything. Nothing can be set there!

Greetings Jan