Jass Bcn

EYETV3 TO EYETV4

Hi,

After having to upgrade from 3 to 4 due to Apple's Catalina upgrade, now it looks that the activation key for 3 doesn't work for 4 and i should have to pay again to keep on using the program because of changes related to companies. A thing that i find unfair and that obviously will NOT do. 

Bye Bye Elgato/Geniatech or whatever it is.

7 hours ago, ivanovitch said:

Odd that you expect that a jump from a major version to another, and to 64-bit architecture, comes free. In my many years of using Mac software, this is rarely the case.

I would agree with you, if it wasn't so that Geniatech has "released" a half-baked product, mainly driven to a barely "useful" application by Geniatech step by step flipping a few bits, and letting the users decide if it was for the "better or worse". (That, by the way, isn't what I would call "program development".)

I've purchased EyeTV 4.x, but I'm glad that I still can run EyeTV3 on Mojave under VirtualBox emulation.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:19 PM, BruceB said:

I've purchased EyeTV 4.x, but I'm glad that I still can run EyeTV3 on Mojave under VirtualBox emulation.

I've not upgraded to Mojave, because EyeTV is my only TV tuner, and EyeTV Betas have been hopeless in functionality and interface design. The whole application reminds me of Windows software, in that it is buggy, requires reboots, crashes, looks ugly and outputs files in proprietary Microsoft format; AVI.

Judging by the reports in another section of this forum, the released version of EyeTV 4 has been unacceptably bad for a number of users. Thanks for letting us know that EyeTV 3 works from within a Virtual Machine. I might follow your lead. It will be better than running two computers, with one only being used for TV viewing.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:08 PM, Jass Bcn said:

After having to upgrade from 3 to 4 due to Apple's Catalina upgrade, now it looks that the activation key for 3 doesn't work for 4 and i should have to pay again to keep on using the program because of changes related to companies. A thing that i find unfair and that obviously will NOT do. 

I've used EyeTV since the days of EyeTV 2. When EyeTV 3 was released, the software license cost around £80. The best way to make the upgrade worthwhile was to buy a new low-cost tuner from Elgato, the then owners. That bought a tuner plus the software for about £90. Not a problem.

Now that EyeTV 4 has been released, their very low initial asking price is much more reasonable, but you can still make a saving by buying some hardware from Geniatech, which might still have EyeTV 3 included, but which will allow you to obtain EyeTV 4 for no additional cost.

And yes; a new major iteration of any software usually means that the application has been re-written in a substantial way. That requires work. Workers require a salary. Customers pay that salary. Why do you have a problem with that? I doubt that you would be very happy if you worked for someone and they threatened to fire you if you wanted paying. Be sensible and pay for what you are using.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:19 PM, BruceB said:

I would agree with you, if it wasn't so that Geniatech has "released" a half-baked product, mainly driven to a barely "useful" application by Geniatech step by step flipping a few bits, and letting the users decide if it was for the "better or worse". (That, by the way, isn't what I would call "program development".)

I bought the EyeTV 4.0 License, and i still let do not dare to use it special for recordings also bad is editing, the recorded .rs stream is some kind of broken, as handbrake will refuse to encode it, the turbo 264.HD stick and software btw still do well, but not handbrake anymore.
So in fact it is still unusable if not for buggy live tv, for the update price itself is quite OK, if the update would be much better and close to the original ...

Can I run both version 3 and version 4 on the same box? Or does version 4 remove any previous versions? I currently run version 3 on Mojave - without emulation but I do suffer a little under 3 as a result. I am curious about 4 but slightly begrudge paying an upgrade fee for what is effectively continuity software. Thanks.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:43 AM, ivanovitch said:

Odd that you expect that a jump from a major version to another, and to 64-bit architecture, comes free. In my many years of using Mac software, this is rarely the case.

EyeTV 4 is in NO WAY and upgrade to EyeTV 3. It's a downgrade.

I bought an Eyetv 2 lite stick in February 2020 (via Amazon, receipt from Geniatech). The activation key coming with this newly bought article doesn't work with Eyetv 4 software for Mac OS Catalina. I contacted Geniatch several times but never got a helpful answer (only a support ticket) or a new key for the software I need. Is this the way Geniatech deals with their customers? So my advice: Don't buy their products. You won't get any support if you're in trouble.

You know, I was advised to Switch on shop, friends say they are more updated than eyeTV. I plan to buy a Switch on shop to compare the live broadcast on the local network, and then immediately write here if no one is against it. answer if you are interested and what do you say? and the I wrote in one discussion, so it for 2016 year, here like you alive...

23 hours ago, dddashaddd said:

You know, I was advised to Switchonshop, friends say they are more updated than eyeTV. I plan to buy a Switchonshop to compare the live broadcast on the local network, and then immediately write here if no one is against it. answer if you are interested and what do you say? and the I wrote in one discussion, so it for 2016 year, here like you alive...

On 1/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, holg said:

I bought the EyeTV 4.0 License, and i still let do not dare to use it special for recordings also bad is editing, the recorded .rs stream is some kind of broken, as handbrake will refuse to encode it, the turbo 264.HD stick and software btw still do well, but not handbrake anymore.
So in fact it is still unusable if not for buggy live tv, for the update price itself is quite OK, if the update would be much better and close to the original ...

I totally agree. This is a piece of digital garbage. Eye TV used to be one of my most prized applications.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the majority of posters here. I was initially peeved that I had to pay for an upgrade because EyeTV 3 wouldn't run under Catalina... I considered that it was not a situation of my making so why should I have to pay for an upgrade. But then it wasn't EyeTV's fault either and, yes, they had to do a significant amount of work to produce a version that works under Catalina so they shouldn't suffer either. That's just progress.

I do also agree, however, that EyeTV appears to be half-baked. I have set up a number of schedules and set them up to export to iPad format (I couldn't find no mention anywhere of exporting to AppleTV) but I cannot find the exported files anywhere.

Of course the old EyeTV exported to iTunes, which doesn't exist in Catalina but I couldn't find the recordings in either the TV app or Music (not that I expected to find them there). I can't even find the exported files using Apple's Finder and, despite having Googled it, I don't know where to look for the files.

This was a painless process in EyeTV 3 that simply doesn't appear to work in EyeTV 4.

Any ideas, anyone?

Regrettably, I too have nothing good to say about EYE TV4.  I have been using it since  version 2 as well and it's been a thing of great value. But on Mojave it got so shaky and unstable I decided to upgrade I paid the £30. The tv guide is all over the place. I can't seem to get half of the channels, the guide is in a random order Channel 1, 2, 231, 78, 6, 24, etc which is useless. The little controller has disappeared. And I'm not sure it's any more stable. Remember I have been using this for many many years so I know all about re-tuning and preferences but I've simply run out of anything else to try now. I am away from home a great deal so rely on this to record my telly to watch later. I have to do a lot of torrent downloads now due to the inability to use 4 as I used to use 2 and 3.

Any real pearls of wisdom anyone?

I have a suggestion. Instead of bickering among ourselves about pricing, etc. how about figuring out a way to get Geniatech to respond to posts and fix the v4 issues? Please

• Like 1

I too would like to see the little floating controller back. I use my mac as a media center (which I mainly control with the mouse) and having to go up the drop down menu, fiddling around, to open a TV-window och channel-window is very inconvenient. At least clicking the EyeTCV-icon could result in a live-tv-window if its not already open.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:20 PM, PeterD said:

Can I run both version 3 and version 4 on the same box? 

I have them both installed, but I can't run them both simultaneously (under Mojave) . If I start EyeTV3 first, I cant start EyeTV4, vice versa.

Doc I wouldn't see this as bickering. I certainly didn't come here to bicker. I came to ask if anyone had already discovered solutions to what seem to be unnecessary and common issues. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here that I hoped to tap into as I'm not a programmer myself. What progress have you made? I've never had a response back ever across all the years I have tried. I like the product concept but support seems virtually non existent. 

On 1/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, RWB said:

Now that EyeTV 4 has been released, their very low initial asking price is much more reasonable, but you can still make a saving by buying some hardware from Geniatech, which might still have EyeTV 3 included, but which will allow you to obtain EyeTV 4 for no additional cost.

Just to double-check: if I buy an EyeTV Go for 29.95€ (plus 5.95€ shipping), I qualify for an EyeTV 4 key - and basically get both an EyeTV 3 licence and the hardware for 5.95€ (assuming I get a response from Geniatech support, which is apparently ver patchy...)?

Amazingly, despite not doing any clever switching or jiggery pokery, I have resolved the EPG issues and it's all working fine. OK Still don't like the controls and layout of 4 ut it is at least working. This is akin to itunes. A product that was absolutely fine then they changed it to something hateful for no apparent reason.

I have been a long time user of EyeTV – since 2006 – and a week ago made the move to EyeTV 4 and to using the Netstream 4Sat. I'd moved house, and there was only satellite available. I agree with the comments about the new interface, but a more major issue for me is that audio description appears to be 'on' by default ('AAC Narration' ticked and not unticking). I've had no luck from Geniatech (as in no response other than the auto acknowledgment). As I changed from using EyeTV 3.69 to 4, and also started using the Netstream, I'm not sure if this is a glitch in the software, or the hardware. 

Has anyone else experienced the AAC Narration on by default since moving to EyeTV 4? Not all programs have it – so doesn't always reveal it, but for example, my Film4 seems to have it all the time and STV a lot of the time.

aac-narration-on.png

I have been a long time user of EyeTV – since 2006 – and a week ago made the move to EyeTV 4 and to using the Netstream 4Sat. I'd moved house, and there was only satellite available. I agree with the comments about the new interface, but a more major issue for me is that audio description appears to be 'on' by default ('AAC Narration' ticked and not unticking). As I changed from using EyeTV 3.69 to 4, and also started using the Netstream, I'm not sure if this is a glitch in the software, or the hardware. 

Has anyone else experienced the AAC Narration on by default since moving to EyeTV 4? Not all programs have it – so doesn't always reveal it, but for example, my Film4 seems to have it all the time and STV a lot of the time.

I purchased a license for 64bit EyeTV-version and now when I try to watch full screen any program, live or recorded, application crashes. Meaning that this is useless. I have enjoyed EyeTV more than a decade before, but now when I had to buy this new license, the app seems to be gone with a wind. I want my money back or a quick fix.  

Hello, I am really glad that I my ID and password still gets me logged into this forum. I see that on Sat , April 9, 2011 I first recorded my license for EyeTV 2.5.3  After reading the posts here as of March, 14, 2020 I am very glad that I have not purchased EyeTv 4. Simply put I believe that EyeTv/Geniatech does not support the Apple desktop users. I believe that this company is only interested in mobile devises (iPad, iPhone, laptops etc), using only tuners sold by Geniatech. This is based upon my experience upon Geniatech's inability to provide update subscriptions for their  North American EPG (Electronic Programming Guide) in the previous year. I am using two MacMini computers. EyeTV 3.6.9 was able to subscribe to the EPG (it took about a year before that happened) and now I am able to schedule program recordings, this on a MacMini using OS 10.12.6. The other computer is using OS 10.15.3 which can't run EyeTv unless I upgrade to 4, which I won't do.

So don't count on  EyeTv/Geniatech to keep providing DVR software that interfaces with 3 party hardware in the future. If anyone has tested any of the 3 party TV tuner boxes in that list please post your results. Also were there any. beta releases or trial downloads of ver 4 offered?

I do think that EveTV is (maybe was) the best Apple DVR software on the market, when it was owned by EyeTv. Today my 3.6.9. software is doing it's job well. But will I be able to purchase a EPG subscription next year?