Kai Regenstein

EYETV 4 the biggest bug ever

Hello Together,

eyetv 4 is the biggest bug ever...

is there a german forum?

where are the export entry's for apple tv and so on?

who has designed this gui?

eyetv 3 was very stable, but eytv 4 crashed every time.

regards

Kai

• Like 1

I too am having issues with EyeTV 4. Having followed and used the Beta versions of the 64 bit software, I bought the released version as soon as it was available.  

My issue is that while the application records TV programs successfully, I have been unable to convert the recordings to either of the two available export versions: H.264 and MPEG Elementary Streams.  (No other entries such as Apple TV settings).  The small red wheel at the bottom right of the TV recording entry almost completes its 360 degree rotation very quickly but stops at about 350 degrees and progresses no further.  Even leaving it to run overnight, it never completes.  This occurs with both export format options.

Pretty poor when some of the Beta versions managed to do this task - one of the most important features of the software for me.

So I will blow into the same horn here.

I was testing the Betas of EyeTV and felt confident, that the release would at least work with its basics. It did not, recording was stopped after 30 mins, all other reported bugs here could be confirmed. I was really upset, paid for premium eps, software and ... all useless.

I tried to setup a communication to Mike, but he is no longer responding, so I stepped out, got my money back and have switched off my Sat4 tuner.

Frankly speaking, it's a shame. EyeTV does have such a potential and is perfect for watching and recording TV, but now its dead. The days when Elgato sold it to Geniatech have been the killer. G never stepped into a valuable programming result.

Game over.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:03 PM, Kai Regenstein said:

Hello Together,

eyetv 4 is the biggest bug ever...

is there a german forum?

where are the export entry's for apple tv and so on?

who has designed this gui?

eyetv 3 was very stable, but eytv 4 crashed every time.

regards

Kai

Hallo Kai,

ich habe gestern (25.1.20) die neueste Version von Eyetv 4 (8520) unter MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 installiert. Im Gegensatz zur 32bit-Version Eyetv 3 läuft Eyetv 4 bei mir ziemlich stabil. Vergeblich habe ich nach einer Möglichkeit gesucht Aufnahmen zu mp4 zu exportieren. Ich habe daraufhin den Export der .eyetv-Datei mittels dem Programm iSkysoft Video Converter Ultimate (11.6.2) vorgenommen. Das funktioniert perfekt! Ist zwar ein workaround, aber was soll's wenn ich damit zum Ziel komme. Den Schnitt kann ich sowohl direkt bei Eyetv vornehmen (und dann den Clip extern konvertieren) oder ich schneide erst im Converter.

LG

Manuel

Hallo Zusammen,

nachdem mir die Version 4 immer abstürzt und die Exports nicht zu gebrauchen sind, habe ich in der 14 tägigen Frist genutzt und EyeTV 4 zurückgegeben.

Der Hersteller ist meinem Wunsch, von Kaufvertrag in der 14 tägigen Frist zurückzutreten, entgegen gekommen. 

Lieber nutze ich die Version 3 von (Elegato) auf meinem alten Mac Min (von 2009) für die Aufnahmen. Schneiden und exportieren kann ich via VNC.

Ich finde es schade, dass ein so gutes Produkt ruiniert wurde.

Gruß

Kai

You're not wrong, Veloraptor. I loved EyeTV when it was Elgato's product. As Geniatech's product, it's a paperweight. Geniatech waited 2 years too long to upgrade the software to 64-bit, it's not ready, it costs money to buy when it's almost completely broken, and the company ignores its customers. I don't understand this business model at all.

Gonna have to upgrade to Catalina soon, and that day will be the last day for my venerable EyeTV receiver. Times were good for almost 10 years! It looks like that's all the time we'll get out of it.

EyeTV 4 is extremely buggy.  Did a test recording last night and it seemed to go fine.  I scheduled another recording for today and nothing happened.  The only export option I have is .mpg .  I discovered that I could load the EyeTV recording into Handbrake and export from there.  Thank God for Handbrake!  The edit function in EyeTV 4 is also very clunky.  EyeTV 3 was better in every way.

EyeTV 4 ist extrem fehlerhaft. Habe gestern Abend eine Testaufnahme gemacht und es schien gut zu gehen. Ich habe für heute eine weitere Aufnahme geplant und nichts ist passiert. Die einzige Exportoption, die ich habe, ist .mpg. Ich entdeckte, dass ich die EyeTV-Aufnahme in Handbrake laden und von dort exportieren konnte. Gott sei Dank für die Handbrake! Die Bearbeitungsfunktion in EyeTV 4 ist ebenfalls sehr umständlich. EyeTV 3 war in jeder Hinsicht besser.

• Like 1

The problem of cut recordings or non starting recordings might be related to the used receiver. In my case I have an EyeTV 4Sat device SatIP/Unicable. My suspicion is that as there is a UDP data streaming it might be a conflict with it. Maybe USB devices work better and do not break recordings.

Can anyone confirm his device with or without having problems? It might give us a clue where the real problem is. 

BTW: I‘ve also asked GT but they never repsonded to this.

/peter.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:39 AM, GASman said:

I too am having issues with EyeTV 4. Having followed and used the Beta versions of the 64 bit software, I bought the released version as soon as it was available.  

My issue is that while the application records TV programs successfully, I have been unable to convert the recordings to either of the two available export versions: H.264 and MPEG Elementary Streams.  (No other entries such as Apple TV settings).  The small red wheel at the bottom right of the TV recording entry almost completes its 360 degree rotation very quickly but stops at about 350 degrees and progresses no further.  Even leaving it to run overnight, it never completes.  This occurs with both export format options.

Pretty poor when some of the Beta versions managed to do this task - one of the most important features of the software for me.

Same for me. I hope they pay attention to this forum and fix the export function.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:35 AM, Veloraptor said:

BTW: I‘ve also asked GT but they never repsonded to this.

Same here. Their "support" is a joke. As is the non-existent manual.

Remind me again why I paid for this (64-bit) upgrade?!

Edited by Pthagonal
  • Like 1

Hi, 

very disappointing:

I purchased EyeTV 4 64 bit, downloaded and installed it. EyeTV 4 took all preferences from my previous EyeTV 3, which I sill have installed in parallel and it found my device Geniatech NetStream 4 Sat. I could do a new channel search with my device, but I can not watch the program. When I click „watch“, I recognise, that EyeTV 4 opens a new window, changes to the channel and the title of the current program is displayed, but there is no video and now sound. Also programmed recordings do not record content. 
Most disappointing is, that - after I did a new channel search in EyeTV 4 - now EyeTV 3 took all the new channels and also does not show video and does not record. 
Why did my device - Netsream 4Sat - work with eyeTV 3 and now stopped working, after I installed EyeTV 4? 

to Kai Regenstein:
Gibt es ein deutschsprachiges Forum? Wollen wir ein neues Thema "EyeTV 64 bit für MacUser in Deutschland"?

11 hours ago, Lothar_188 said:

to Kai Regenstein:

Gibt es ein deutschsprachiges Forum? Wollen wir ein neues Thema "EyeTV 64 bit für MacUser in Deutschland"?

Ja, bitte ein EyeTV4 MAC Forum einrichten, damit wir hier klar adressieren können.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:21 PM, Dribould said:

I loved EYETV3 ..... but reading all the post it looks better to wait before to buy TV4 ...

Waiting better release, Molotov will do the job ..... 

The problem is: With Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina, you don't have a choice, since eyeTV 3 is not 64-bit ready.

As it is, eyeTV 4 is pretty much unusable, and I would expect MUCH better support, and software, very soon!

BTW: eyetV 4 tends to fail to detect my eyeTV netstream 4C for days on end, anyone else experiencing this issue?

On 2/2/2020 at 5:44 AM, Pthagonal said:

Remind me again why I paid for this (64-bit) upgrade?!

Just like me.  Hoping against hope that paying in advance will get a working product similar to what we had in the past.

• Like 1

Nothing but trouble with EyeTV 4, missed timer recordings or not recorded whole program. New error is cannot export any recordings, just makes a file with zero mb. Shit product.

I finally  had to update to EyeTV 4 last October ... after reading all the complaints, I expected the worst, but was surprised to find out it works just fine here. 

Has not missed recordings.

Well, I'll qualify that: it did miss some early on. Then I found out I had to go through and manually delete all prior "/volumes/EyeTV Archive/*.eyetvsched" schedule files left from 3.6.9 in the directory and manually adjust the archive ownership and file permissions.  The new Mac hardware and update to Big Sur seemed to create ownership and permissions problems. Apparently EyeTV4 wasn't able to modify the old schedule files, so it messed things up. It was fastest to just delete all old-format recording schedules and create new ones. Took a few minutes to forcibly delete the old stuff, change file and directory ownership and permissions, and have never had a problem with recording since then.

I've only exported a couple times, but both times it came out in .mp4 just fine, as with 3.6.9. No drama.

After months of delayed updates to Mac hardware and Big Sur, it turned out to be a big nothing.

About the only thing I miss from EyeTV 3.6.9 (a little) is the "fine editing" option and the searching of show "info" (string matching) isn't good. But scheduling and recording and manipulating shows has been as solid as anything with 3.6.9.   Problems might be local. 

Edited by starliner

50 minutes ago, starliner said:

I finally  had to update to EyeTV 4 last October ... after reading all the complaints, I expected the worst, but was surprised to find out it works just fine here.

eyeTV seems to be effectively dead, as far as I can see.

No replies to support requests, no meaningful updates (Apple silicon!), sale of remaining products on eBay, no new hardware.

Now if they at least released the software with some sort of open source license, THAT would be helpful.