fornadan

Operating manual for EyeTV 4 for macOS?

I have searched high and low for a manual for eyeTV 4 for macOS X (64-bit) and can't find one. It's vastly different to eyeTV 3 and I can't see how to mark clips and compact with it.

Is there any doc available online for eyeTV 4/macOS?

Have they removed clip selection and compacting from v4?

You're not on your own here. I just can't seem to make the editing function work either. You used to place a marker at the beginning and end of a section that you did NOT want to keep then click 'compact' and it would remove all of the marked sections - eg adverts. I can place makers in a recording although it's not quite as simple as it used to be when scanning through the whole programme but the compact option remains greyed out. All I get is save clip as a recording which is not what I want. I did get the compact option to illuminate once, I clicked it and it deleted the entire programme.

On a good note though with much messing around, TV4 is now stable, correctly formatted and mostly working.  However, one function that seems not to be is the 'watch whilst recording'

I hate adverts so quite often I'd set the record function and join the programme later basically in a sort of timeslip mode so that I could scan forward into the recording buffer. If I got called away, no problem, the recording would complete and I could watch later.  For some reason, I can't do this anymore as there is no sound during recording.

Hi,

I still can't save recordings in other formats, such as Quicktime; I can't multiple clip, to cut out ads; I find sliding the thin white cursor line in open editor to review recordings next to impossible; I also can't 'watch whilst recording, which is honestly annoying; and, yes, I too would like a manual;

all these functions were previously available.

On the bright side, truly, the app runs smoothly on 64bit

Many if these issues were scheduled to be set right in the next upgrade, but by now it has already been released

So, I'm not sure what to think, if things stay this way; one word has even come up to my mind : sabotage; maybe due to some form of external pressure or incentive ,

I just hope we all get back our old Eye tv

About "Editing and mark clips and compact" - Zur Frage "Editieren, Markieren und Komprimieren":

In der aktuellen Version EyeTV 4.0.0 (8526) funktioniert das Editieren fast so, wie in den früheren Versionen:

a.) mit Rechtsklick auf die zu bearbeitende Aufnahme und Auswahl von "Bearbeiten" gelangt man in die Editor-Ansicht (erkennbar an dem kleinen Scheren-Symbol am unteren Bildrand).

b.) durch Klicken auf dieses Scherensymbol kann der zweigeteilte Dreiecks-Cursor aktiviert werden. Beide Seiten, also beide kleinen Dreiecke können sodann verschoben werden um bestimmte Bereiche der Aufnahme zu markieren.

c.) Schraffierte Bereiche werden beim anschließenden Auswählen des Befehls "Komprimieren" (der Befehl befindet sich rechts unten im Bild ... durch Klick auf die drei Punkte) gelöscht und die nicht schraffierten Bereiche bleiben nach Komprimierung erhalten.

Allein die Detail-Anzeige (das vormalige Feinjustieren Bild für Bild) scheint nicht mehr zu funktionieren. Links unten im Bild sind zwar zwei kleine Symbole ( - ) ( + ) , aber diese bewirken - zumindest auf meinem Rechner, gar nichts Merkbares.

Soweit, sogut ... ! Wünsche Euch einen schönen Tag und hoffe, dass ich EyeTV 4 nun noch ein paar Jahre verwenden kann, um sehenswerte Dokumentationen aufzunehmen und zu sehen.

LG,

Reinhard

Hi, and here is the english version:

In the current version of EyeTV 4.0.0 (8526), editing works almost the same as in previous versions:

a.) Right-click on the recording to be edited and select "Edit" to get to the editor view (recognizable by the small scissors symbol at the bottom of the screen).

b.) The split triangle cursor can be activated by clicking on this scissors symbol. Both sides, i.e. both small triangles, can then be moved to mark certain areas of the recording.

c.) Hatched areas are deleted when you then select the "Compress" command (the command is located at the bottom right in the image ... by clicking on the three dots) and the non-hatched areas are retained after compression.

Only the detail display (the previous fine adjustment picture by picture) does not seem to work anymore. At the bottom left in the picture there are two small symbols (-) (+), but they have no noticeable effect - at least on my computer.

So far so good ... ! Have a nice day and hope that I can use EyeTV 4 for a few more years to record and watch amazing documentaries.

Best regards,

Reinhard

Thank you Reinhard, and thank you for posting the English version! Viele dank!

11 hours ago, Reinhard said:

Only the detail display (the previous fine adjustment picture by picture) does not seem to work anymore. At the bottom left in the picture there are two small symbols (-) (+), but they have no noticeable effect - at least on my computer.

This is the big disappointment for me, as it makes it hard to select the exact frame for In/Out points when editing because the missing timeline means you have to guess where to place the edit point and fine mode (-)(+) appears to be unavailable meaning arrow keys make big jumps; and prevents quickly verifying edits after compaction because you can't see where the edit was made because the In/Out triangles disappear after Compact-ing. I was hoping I was doing something wrong and the 4.0 manual would indicate the correct operation.

---

The above was based on EyeTV 4.0.0 8524. Geniatech didn't inform me there was a new beta/rev, though they promised to. Anyway I downloaded the new version, and find that 8526 is really no better. They seem to be re-arranging the deck chairs while the ship sinks.

I'm keeping 2 Macs in Mojave in order to use EyeTV 3 since I do a lot of trimming with it, though I'd love to move on to Big Sur. Looks like that'll remain the case for an unknown (long) amount of time.

---

<rhetorical> How can the EyeTV software have gotten into such a mess?! After deciding to restore the original 32-bit editing UI due to the unusability of the original mutant 64-bit UI, they should have been able to just copy the original 32-bit source code and resources to the 64-bit project, build, and debug. As a long-time developer myself, I can't understand how they managed to mess this up so badly, unless the original code design was truly hideous, or when they moved to 64-bit they ran it through a meat grinder.

It's been a long, long time since they started this fiasco. I shudder to think of the devastation if they decide to try to support the M1 and follow-on Apple silicon.

</rant>

So far version 4 is useless.  I have gone back to eyetv 3, as I keep a bootable MacOS 10.14 Mojave that runs 32-bit - for Quicken 7 and maybe some other 32-bit apps.

I have been without EyeTV 4 for a while, mostly because I couldn't get it to work with Ventura. I finally discovered today that I was using the wrong Diversity stick (don't ask why I have two).

Running the Assistant worked fine, and I have all the channels I expected to have. It's been so long since I've set up from scratch I don't know how to do the next step.

How do I watch a channel? How to I record a program? Do I need IceTV?

Pointers to doco gratefully accepted . . .

Best regards, David