TimG

EyeTV 4 – AAC Narration on by default

Previously used EyeTV since 2006 with a DTT stick with minimal problems, at beginning of this week I got a Netstream 4Sat, and as my Mac is running Catalina, downloaded EyeTV 4 64-bit and activated it via Geniatech support. However, I soon realised that on the channels that I was getting the audio description overlaid over the sound for programmes. The channels' AAC Narration option is 'ticked' ON, and wont untick. Sometimes, if I look quickly after changing channels, two options are displayed (while the AAC Narration is ticked), the other along the lines of Dolby English, try clicking to 'tick' that but the narration is still on. But the latter is brief, as when the options are viewed again, only the AAC Narration is there, and with a tick beside it. I do have a support ticket with Geniatech (TicketID: 2020030516000347), but have nothing back except the auto acknowledgement. Not all programmes go out with an audio narration, but it seems when its available its being auto selected, I cannot unselect it as a choice. A few times it's shown two AAC Narrative's, but still nothing unchecks it (see screenshots).

Has anyone else experienced this bug - unsure if it is bug with the EyeTV 4 software handling of the satellite streams, or a bug in the Netstream's box?

Screenshot 2020-03-05 at 23.55.34.png

Screenshot 2020-03-05 at 23.53.55.png

The EyeTV software and my Netstream 4Sat still sucks. I can't believe I'm the only person who's getting the Audio Narration 'jammed on' with no ability to just have the ordinary audio an no additional audio description audio channel activated. Have supplied sample short recordings to Support but no solutions yet.

I personally would not recommend either EyeTV 4 or the tuner receivers currently. Very disappointed as prior to this have used of EyeTV software (with Elgatp DTT stick) since 2006.

Exactly the same here. EyeTV 4 is useless junk. Lucky I still have a machine that can run v.3.

I have been through several updates of Catalina, and at least a couple of versions of EyeTV 4, which I have also completely removed and reinstalled. Still get infuriatingly banal narration.

Netstream 4Sat, iMac 5K, 27-inch, 2019, 10.15.5

On 5/8/2020 at 11:37 PM, TimG said:

The EyeTV software and my Netstream 4Sat still sucks. I can't believe I'm the only person who's getting the Audio Narration 'jammed on' with no ability to just have the ordinary audio an no additional audio description audio channel activated. Have supplied sample short recordings to Support but no solutions yet.

I personally would not recommend either EyeTV 4 or the tuner receivers currently. Very disappointed as prior to this have used of EyeTV software (with Elgatp DTT stick) since 2006.

I have the exact same problem among others.  I've rolled back to Mojave and use EyeTV 3.  Don't expect Geniatech to sort problems out for a long time.  They're most likely in it for an easy buck.

7 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Bug is definitely in the EyeTV 4 software.  Doen't occur after going back to EyeTV 3.

Almost one year ago:

Have been trying to find out 'whois Geniatech'. No success so far...

P.PS.

From https://www.geniatech.eu/blog-9-info-eyetv-4-64-bit-macos-10-15-catalina-eyetv-3-32-bit-macos-mojave-10-14/

Blog 9: Info Eyetv 4 (64 bit) & macOS 10.15 Catalina Eyetv 3 (32-bit) & macOS Mojave 10.14

Eyetv 4 (64 bit) & macOS 10.15 Catalina

We are always receiving queries about Eyetv and using it with the latest versions of macOS. To make sure you get things right, we would like to provide a little information and invite you to accompany the development of the latest version of Eyetv.

Apple launched macOS 10.15 Catalina on 7 October 2019. For customers wishing to switch to macOS 10.15 Catalina, a beta version is available for Eyetv 4 (64 bits) & macOS 10.15 Catalina. You can take part in the beta program here. For your info: Eyetv Beta 5 runs under macOS 10.14 Mojave and macOS 10.15 Catalina. According to our schedule, there will be another two or three beta versions before the release at the end of October 2019. Thank you for taking part and testing.

Edited by BruceB

A little more info on what is happening. Recordings are saved as a .ts file by EyeTV 4, and a .mpg file by EyeTV 3.

HD programmes mostly have an AC3 5.1 audio stream and an mpg narration stream. But some have AC3 Stereo instead, plus the narration stream.

EyeTV 4 seems to be unable to parse or record an AC3 5.1 audio stream, so programmes which feature 5.1 are left only with the narration stream. Programmes with an AC3 Stereo track seem to be fine, and both that and the narration track are recorded in the file.

I do not know whether this is something that only happens with EyeTV 4 and Netstream 4Sat - or whether it is something that a firmware update could fix. However, there is no obvious way to update to what appears to be the latest firmware.

Anyway, as it stands, EyeTV 4 could barely be described as beta software. It's not just glitchy, it simply doesn't work. This is basic stuff.

Is there a fix or any information about AAC Narration on by default? It appears from my recent installation quite a lot of streams only have AAC Narration and no other options. This will make at least half the channels I used to have with eyeTV 3 unusable.

An additional question to my above post - does anyone know if the the latest version of Netstream 4Sat has the same problem of AAC Narration - I realise it should be no different to the older unit (5 years old) I have now, which worked fine on EyeTV 3, but you never know, I have no objection to replacing it if the problem is solved.

Here is the response from tech support team re the narration problem.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting us.
We have reported this issue to our Software Department. We will inform you when it is fixed.
Kind regards,

Angela 
Geniatech EyeTV Support Team