Mikeg

EyeTV 4 - An appraisal

From my personal use of EyeTV products over the last 10 years and posts on this forum it would appear that there is insufficient resources to maintain what is a fairly complicated product (EyeTV) which is heavily interdependent on hardware which is itself dependant on changes in broadcast standards changes that Geniatech has no control over.

It is likely that Elgato Systems was aware of this and was struggling to match income stream with the necessary expenditure, which is why they sold it.

It is now a choice for Geniatech between spending more money or losing customers. To some extent this process of losing customers can be tolerated as long as those that remain are spending.

Annual paid updates to EyeTV are now probably necessary with free bug correction updates in between. But in reality, how can paid updates be justified without perceived improvements? It is difficult when you heavily dependant on the outside world of TV and satellite broadcasting. Only when they make improvements or changes is it easy to charge for a new version,

Clearly supporting IOS and OS X is an extra burden. Apple Silicon will alleviate that to some extent, although the process will take some years before the bulk of MAC customers are actually using Apple Silicon.

From my perspective, the future for EyeTV does not look particularly promising.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, Mikeg said:

From my personal use of EyeTV products over the last 10 years and posts on this forum it would appear that there is insufficient resources to maintain what is a fairly complicated product (EyeTV) which is heavily interdependent on hardware which is itself dependant on changes in broadcast standards changes that Geniatech has no control over.

It is likely that Elgato Systems was aware of this and was struggling to match income stream with the necessary expenditure, which is why they sold it.

It is now a choice for Geniatech between spending more money or losing customers. To some extent this process of losing customers can be tolerated as long as those that remain are spending.

Annual paid updates to EyeTV are now probably necessary with free bug correction updates in between. But in reality, how can paid updates be justified without perceived improvements? It is difficult when you heavily dependant on the outside world of TV and satellite broadcasting. Only when they make improvements or changes is it easy to charge for a new version,

Clearly supporting IOS and OS X is an extra burden. Apple Silicon will alleviate that to some extent, although the process will take some years before the bulk of MAC customers are actually using Apple Silicon.

From my perspective, the future for EyeTV does not look particularly promising.

Hi,

As already notified to geniatech, using the latest eyetv4 on Mac Pro  OS 12.5, and having scanned astra 19 and selected a favorites list which worked ok, I then scanned Astra 28.2.  Many stations were found but there seems to be no way to access them. The All Channels list still contained only the previous Astra 19 programs. Strangely this was not so earlier, but even after uninstalling eyetv4 and a reinstall, the problem persists.

This is is clearly a simple software matter. I wonder when I can expect a reply from Geniatech !!!

Also the website report the newest version as 8627 the newly downloaded program is designated 8626.

Brian Coleman