Sign in to follow this  
GumBoocho

PLEASE EXPLAIN EyeTV 4 for each 64 bit MAC OS

PLEASE EXPLAIN EyeTV 4 for each 64 bit MAC OS

Now that I have been forced to "upgrade" MAC OS to 64 bit OS, I find that EyeTV3 does not work any

more.  That indicates that I have to upgrade EyeTV to EyeTV 4.  Yet the last posting I have found by the new company selling EyeTV4 is that it had problems with Catalina.  I found nothing about even newer OS like Big Sur or Ventura.  This computer I am using right now has Big Sur in it.  Please post up to date information. I found posted that in 2020 some fix would be issued for EyeTV 4, yet all I see is like EyeTV 4.0. So apparently the "promise" was not fulfilled.  I am in the USA.  Please give details for how EyeTV 4 will work with each of the 64 bit MacOS.  Has the Genius abandoned its step-children?  Exactly what can I expect if I buy EyeTV 4? What won't work that worked with 3?  Please help your customers.

The current version of EyeTV 4 "works" with Big Sur (V 11.7.9) as well as it "worked" with prior MacOS versions.  I have not tried EyeTV 4 with more recent versions of MacOS but I believe others have.  See these threads 

and

• Like 1

I am not having any big issues using EyeTV 4 (8531) on an M2 Pro Mac Mini running MacOS 13.6.1 with an (ATSC) EyeTV Hybrid USB stick.  I will not be moving to Sonoma anytime soon; I am a late adopter.

EyeTV 4 is a separate purchase, not a free upgrade, from EyeTV 3.x. For me, EyeTV 4 works well enough.  Some people posting here seem to have many issues.  I found that it was VERY important to use the no-cost EyeTV Reporter tool (available from Geniatech.EU) to remove all traces of EyeTV3 BEFORE I tried to install EyeTV 4.  Making backups before doing the upgrade is always sensible, as with any upgrade.

(Aside: I strongly suspect El Gato built EyeTV 3 on the CARBON interface, which was deprecated when MacOS moved to 64-bit.  I believe GeniaTech had to do a lot of work to rewrite the 3.x software to support the COCOA interface required with a 64-bit MacOS.)

• Like 1