WisconsinEric

EPG from XMLTVListings

It is not necessary to use EyeTV's built in EPG. There are 2 alternative EPGs: xmltvlistings.com (which I use, see next paragraph) and schedulesdirect.org. Both are proven to work well with EyeTV, both produce 2-week listings for the channel lineup of your choice, and at a lower cost than EyeTVEPGPremium.  On screen they look just like TV Guide. It is not necessary to upgrade to EyeTV's latest build (#7528) to use them, they work perfectly with earlier builds. There has been a lot of discussion about them on various parts of this forum since TV Guide disappeared from EyeTV in the US in February.

About 6 months ago I worked out and posted a step-by-step guide to installing the EPG for xmltvlistings.com. There have been a few suggestions for improvement, especially in the past 2 weeks, so I've updated it and the revised Guide is posted here. Most of this is other people's work, which I simply collated and organized for convenience; be sure to see the Credits at the end of the Guide. Since various threads here have discussed EPGs, I'll post this in a couple of other relevant threads as well.

XMLTVListings EPG with EyeTV-Guide.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Eric!

If the document Eric posted isn't available to you, it's probably because you didn't log on.  If you can't get a eyetvforum account because you can't get the verification email (I couldn't using a comcast.com account), then try using a mail.com address to sign up here.  That worked for me.

As far as any other suggestions:

The instructions say XML listings work with at least build 7524, which is what Eric tested on.  I tested on 7520, so I suspect the instructions will work on any build of EyeTV 3.6.9.  YMMV.

If you go to your dashboard at xmltvlistings.com, you will see a support note about complaints from EyeTV users saying stations are in the wrong order.  That is not an xmltvlistings.com issue.  The problem can be fixed in EyeTV by going to the "Channels" screen and dragging each station to the order you would like it displayed.  EyeTV will automatically remember the new order until you 'rescan' or 'auto tune' your channels again (something you only do when a TV station in your area is new, or changes frequency -- a very rare event).

If you don't like the yearly auto-renew of your xmltvlistings.com subscription (the default), then you can change that under "Manage Subscription" on the xmltvlistings.com dashboard page.

Enjoy!   😁👍

• Like 1

Hi- Earl Noe here

I have been happily using the method outlined in this thread and in Wisconsin Eric's handy manual to automatically  load schedules from xmltvlistings.com into EyeTV 3.6.9 (7528) without any problem. Last night I tried to manually update the EPG listings while something was recording and crashed the macmini. Now, although EyeTV retained my channel listings it will display no guide information at all, the windows are blank. I can manually load the last xmltv.xml file into EyeTV but it has no effect. EyeTV will not even display generic EPG listings. The Program Guide window and the PG favorites widow I created are stubbornly blank. Schedules retained the information on programs set to record, and I could manually schedule a recording, but absolutely zip schedules info. Anyone out there? Any suggestions?

Yup, I'm still out here. Unfortunately I just accidentally deleted 20 minutes of typing and the stupid discussion software doesn't allow for "undo." Here's a short version, I'm not going to do it all over: (1) quit and restart EyeTV; (2) reboot the computer. (3) In EyeTV check all the setup preferences for sourcing from xmltv files. When none of that works, go through pain & suffering: (4) write down all your settings, reset EyeTV to defaults (there's a button in there for that), and set up XMLTVListings in EyeTV like you did the first time; and finally if that doesn't work, (5) delete EyeTV (write down all your Preferences first), download a clean copy, and reinstall. I had to do that once, took hours. Sounds like you corrupted something; I remember making a mental note last year to not do anything else, including recording, while EyeTV was updating. I only tried updating manually the first two times after I switched to xmltv listings, have been using automated at 5 am ever since (Feb 2019) without issue. Good luck solving your problem. Stay safe!

Thanks! Good to hear from you. The whole setup has worked like a dream until this foulup. I am thinking of going straight to using EyeTV Helper to uninstall, installing a fresh copy, and rescanning, etc. I can back up the more important recordings in the archive, just in case they're affected by an uninstall. I can do this all on a clone of my boot drive on an external, so if it blows up in my face I can clone the boot drive again and be at worst back about where I started. I expected to just  merrily boot into the clone and that EyeTV would work properly there, but it, too seems banjaxed, like a perverse kind of quantum entanglement or something. When things go haywire,  they really seem to go haywire. I made sure I can find my activation key before even thinking about this. I'll post here how it goes. I have lots of time these days. I have been sick for about 20 days with something that is not serious enough to get tested for, so I myself am trying to reboot.

Ok, good luck. I'll be interesting in hearing how it goes. The archive is a separate folder and should not be affected, but if you're concerned move it to a separate (disconnected) external drive during your reinstall. I actually have my archive divided into 2 parts so I can spread it out onto an external drive; EyeTV allows only one archive location, but if you put an alias within the archive folder to a second external archive (on a 3TB drive, so plenty of room), it will find the aliased archive folder as well and combine them when it lists your program library. There is no deficit in playback when playing recordings from the external drive. I figured that out (with a little hint from one of their tech support guys) and wrote up a user tip on it around 2010 or 2011, which the folks at the original EyeTV company (forget its name) liked so much they added it to their site. They said they were going to add it to the user guide, but I don't know if they ever did.

Hi-

I backed up my boot drive to the clone, and then unmounted that drive, just to prevent any funny business with the uninstaller and networked installations of  EyeTV. I used the EyeTV Reporter app to uninstall EyeTV. It required a restart, and to my surprise on restart, EyeTV (a new copy, apparently?) was in the Applications folder. So I didn't need to reinstall from tthe dmg I had on my desktop. The setup assistant ran, and I entered the relevant info and did a channel scan. There was some funny business where I declined to subscribe to the EyeTV guide that required me to ForceQuit ETV. On starting up again, I found the xmltv.xml file that downloaded last night in the Scripts folder and dragged that onto the EyeTV icon in applications, which loaded it. Then followed the tedious business of changing all the Channel entries to xmltv and assigning a channel from the lineup. This seems to have been quite successful, so all that remains is cleaning up by unchecking duplicated stations in Channels and creating a new program guide of favorites in the preferred order. Then I'll back up again to the clone.

Thanks again for all your work on this. I keep your PDF guide handy in case I ever need to rebuild the whole setup. I haven't upgraded to the 64 bit version because it has been sorely badmouthed in other forums, and the version of High Sierra I am running is supposedly the ultima thule OS I can run on this mini anyway.

Earl

PS. Some things about EyeTV continue to mystify me. Despite a supposed complete uninstall, the new installation remembers the recordings that had been scheduled beforehand.

Silly me. "Date added" is yesterday, so it is the fresh copy I installed then, which "learned" the schedules somewhere.. This suggests the main application was not uninstalled at all. Maybe just resetting the prefs would have done the job. Some people badmouth EyeTV, but after working with it for years, I think it is a sophisticated and stable piece of software whose present owners don't understand it very well.

I agree with your assessment. I've used it since late 2009, and have rarely encountered any issues. I know of only 2 bugs, one old and one new. Old: if you are recording and without thinking select "Quit", EyeTV will abort the recording and quit without giving you a warning. This is a bug of omission; the software should have the usual "Do you really want to do this?" dialog box. New bug: when I updated my OS from El Capitan to Mojave, the time left progress bar on a recording you are watching is now blank unless at least an hour is left. Not a deal killer, but kind of inconvenient if you want to go back and find a specific spot in a recording to re-watch. Otherwise very stable software, virtually never crashes, maybe 2% of the time a recording doesn't complete for no obvious reason. And yes, I wish the software were owned by a company that understood it and was invested in maintaining and occasionally developing it (since it is mature not much is needed).

PS It may be the application was uninstalled but not supporting preference files. If it was the application that got corrupted, that would fit the facts you have presented.

I am hoping you fine folks here can help me.  I have been trying to get the XMLTV guide workflow to work and I have a lot of  it working (import, connecting channels, etc), but I have a persistent problem that I cannot seem to get around. I use a EyeTV HD connected to cable box with an IR blaster for channel change and for years this worked great.  With the death of the guide service, I tried many many things before I got to this forum and found that it was a systemic problem and not just me.  Along the way, I lost my channel line up.

Now every time I try to configure the set top box or run the setup assistant, it cannot find any channel line up in my area or any zip code I try.  I have an old channel line up file and by deleting a bunch of preference files etc. I was able to load it, but all the channels are configured for a Service called "Set Top Box."  No matter what I do not I cannot seem to complete configuring the set top box and therefore clicking on a channel or program in the guide (from XMLTV) does not tune to that channel live and instead pops a dialog saying the channel is not available, please verify that the device is connected. Obviously recording is a non-starter as well.

I'm perfectly fine editing XML files (that's how I got the channel line up back in) but I cannot figure out how to get out of the set top box not configured state.  If I try to search for a channel line up by zip code (I'm in the USA) I get the spinning beach ball until I force quit EyeTV.

Do any of you with experience have ideas?  I am open to a total redo at this point, but I thought I had done that by following the FAQ and deleting all the pref files scattered all over.

Maybe I am too late to offer any help but I have had an old experience with EyeTV 3 after Geniatech released an update some time ago. The new update no longer supported my HD HomeRun tuner box. Seems like Geniatech only wanted to do business with people who purchased their hardware at that time. So I had to re-install an older version of EyeTV 3 (7524). So just make sure the you selected your hardware box in the preferences panel and check your signal from your cable box. Mine shows the received signal strength and signal quality for all of the video tuners. 

Your hardware,  EyeTV HD, was that purchased from El Gato or maybe Silicon Dust? El Gato was the company that developed the early versions of EyeTv software. Then came Silicon Dust and now we got Geniatech.

I am using a MacMIni, late 2012, OS 10.12.6, EyeTv 3 (7528). Configured for HD HomeRun Quatro for Broadcast Television.

I just noticed that the XML TV Listings data is including the season and episode for some, but not all shows. I'm pretty sure this is a new development, but maybe I haven't been paying attention. For those shows that include that data, the "Record All" button is available. That will allow for the automated creation of Smart Guides that I've been missing. It's also nice to have the season and episode info again. 

I had not noticed that, but it would be nice to have. I usually edit that in to descriptions of programs I want to keep. Never used Smart Guides before so I probably won't start now. But yes, XML TV Listings has not included that info previously, which was a minor annoyance. I have noticed that although they never use the "New" marker in the program guide, they do use "Repeat" pretty accurately, so you can assume if it doesn't say "Repeat" it must be a new show. Overall I am glad I switched to XMLTv Listings, since once set up it is 100% maintenance free, even for renewing (that was always a pain in the old EyeTV).