Mario

Compatibility with MacOS Sierra

Hi to everybody.

Here is my question: I run MacOS Sierra. Which version of EyeTV I have to download? My device is an old Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T XS, that, I know, works until OS X Leopard. Does it work with new software? Thanks to all

Bye, Mario

Wait, I have EyeTV 3.6.9 (7513) running on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta (16B2548a). I've been using it for a long time as I work for Apple in marketing and we've been testing internal builds well before June's WWDC. Not a problem. Interestingly, I can't find this version anywhere now. What happened to it? Why was it removed?

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 8.57.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 8.57.30 PM.jpg

Edited by CJD2112

A Beta version of Sierra is not the same as the production release .. and you work for Apple ?

Hallo Kym,
Thank you for contacting Geniatech EyeTV Support.

sorry, we are still working on it . Could you please tell us your firewall set ups and are you using a antivirus software?
Thank you.

Ningfeng 
Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

I installed Sierra on a clean Macbook Air,  next I installed latest EyeTV. Since I didn't want to spend hours on the installation I copied all the necessary support files from my iMac where EyeTV is running under El Capitan.

Watch some live TV and did some recording. But I noticed no problem whatsoever.

On 10/20/2016 at 6:55 AM, kym said:

A Beta version of Sierra is not the same as the production release .. and you work for Apple ?

It wasn't a beta, you simply used the incorrect version. Yes, I do work for Apple, out of Munich and Berlin. How does this matter?

Good to know this matter has been resolved.

On 10/20/2016 at 6:55 AM, kym said:

Hallo Kym,
Thank you for contacting Geniatech EyeTV Support.

sorry, we are still working on it . Could you please tell us your firewall set ups and are you using a antivirus software?
Thank you.

Ningfeng 

The EyeTV version was/Is not a beta. Various released versions have been used since beta testing macOS Sierra 10.12 without errors/debugging required. Sierra was released to the public a month ago. The macOS beta 10.1 was just released to the public today, no one using EyeTV 3.x experienced conflicts with 10.12's new features (APFS, SIP, Finder, Mach Kernel, etc). It seems you simply have been using the incorrect version of EyeTV 3.x.

As for your other question, I do work for Apple in marketing out of Munich HQ and live in Berlin.

(Apologies as it seems I am unable to edit or delete the reply above)

Anyway, biggest failure here is Geniatech since they replied "we are working on it" translating into "yes you're right, there is a problem". However there is no problem since at least 2 people have tested Sierra + EyeTV and had no problems.

Geniatechs reply does not surprise me. it is identical to the way that Elgato always solved problems. "tell the customer "we are working on it" and subsequently do nothing. Apparently they even did not test official Sierra with EyeTV.

A shame making EyeTV into abandonware.

862297-abandonware.png

I suppose I better set CJD2112 straight eh Ton ?

Mario asks a question about which EyeTV works with macOS Sierra ? I reply that NO version of EyeTV works with Sierra because I had already been in contact with Geniatech who had advised that "they were working on it".

Then CJD2112 jumps in and writes ..

Wait, I have EyeTV 3.6.9 (7513) running on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta (16B2548a). I've been using it for a long time as I work for Apple in marketing and we've been testing internal builds well before June's WWDC. Not a problem.

So I come back and point out that macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta is NOT the same as the final production macOS Sierra and, as an Apple employee, he should know that a Beta is not the same as a Prod release.  Hell, even a simple Google search will uncover that many people reported EyeTV worked with macOS Sierra Beta but subsequently didn't with the production release.

So even though I copied a direct response from Geniatech support (having supplied them with the version of macOS Sierra and EyeTV I was using .. latest) in which they acknowledged the problem and advised they were working on it .. we have CJD2112 back on the air now telling everyone ...

It seems you simply have been using the incorrect version of EyeTV 3.x

Don't tell me CJD2112 hacked into my iMac and that's how he knew what version of EyeTV I had installed ?

And also ..

Hey CJD2112 how about:

• Contacting Geniatech support and advise them the matter has been resolved and that they should stop working on a problem that doesn't even exist.
  • Let Mario know the version of EyeTV that will work with the latest release of macOS Sierra PRODUCTION.
  • Maybe asking Geniatech support for a job.

Ton, I realise it will take some time for Geniatech to get across the EyeTV code base but as you say, it's beginning to look like abandonware.  Any suggested alternatives ?

I probably do not fully understand your message. So "sorry" beforehand.

I Use OSX Sierra 10.12 (all updates) i.c.w. EyeTV 3.6.9 (7513) To my knowledge with are latest version and it all works fine.

Wat would anyone inform Geniatech they are working on a non existing problem? Let's be honest. It is their task to test if there is a problem. I worked with a hard/software supplier and we always checked ourselves whether the customers complaint was real and correct. Apparently they have the same philosophy as Elgato (I wonder whether the difference is only in the name) meaning "do nothing maybe the problem resolves by itself".

As to alternatives. Pity there is not much for the Mac besides DVBlink. DVBlink is a good program, cheaper than EyeTV and does all and more (aTV4 client available). Presently I use partly EyeTV and partly DVBlink. The latter becauseEyeTV does not supports only the HDHR3-EU/US and not the ones with 4 decoders.

Why not use DVBlink fully? Simply because scheduling of EyeTV is way more comfortable and extensive than DVBlink. Also the GUI of EyeTV looks very good where DVBlink looks like a Win/Linus product transferred to Mac (meaning "it works, who cares about looks").

A very very positive of DVBlink is the support. It is nearly instantaneous. You can test either a limited (only limitation 1 user) for 30 days or full-fledged version for 30 days. So give it a try.

Alternative for those that have a NAS is TVHeadend. If is a free product with almost no support and quite a difficult setup. Once you get it running you get the best of both world. Alas with 1 big drawback, it has a very poor EPG. I would call it no EPG at all.

But I really would prefer to get a fully working EyeTV 4.0 and pay for that. Only I fear Geniatech won't let me.

• Like 1

I too have found some issues while attempting to run Eyetv HD with Mac Sierra. I redownloaded the app Vers. 3.6.9 (7513)  the latest build. Upon launch it at least gives me "switching to 720-60," then no signal.  Help!

Big issues here, running eyetv 3 on Sierra. Bought a eyetv hybrid today, but some channels show a still picture that updates about twice a minute and some stuttery sound, and most channels show nothing at all. Signal strenght is good though.

Real bummer....

Hopefully someone knows a fix

How does on download EyeTV 3.6.9 (7513), on the website download page 7416 is the latest version?  When I use the check for updates with 7416 it says it is the latest version.

Is anyone aware of later builds?

15 hours ago, dennis said:

6 hours ago, rtraill said:

How does on download EyeTV 3.6.9 (7513), on the website download page 7416 is the latest version?  When I use the check for updates with 7416 it says it is the latest version.

Is anyone aware of later builds?

No idea where/how I got mine. If you want, you can DL it here here

• Like 1

On 1-11-2016 at 9:52 PM, dennis said:

....some channels show a still picture that updates about twice a minute and some stuttery sound, and most channels show nothing at all. Signal strenght is good though....

Found out i only have these problems with dvb-c. Hooked up the antenna and everything works fine.

Do other people with problems also experience them only with dvb-c?

Edited by dennis

Thanks Ton, I'll check out DVBLink. There are lots of variables besides MacOS & EyeTV versions including country, Elgato device etc.  Still, the fact that Geniatech have not posted a public statement on the issue adds up to zero customer service. I'm surprised some Mac technical expert hasn't dug around and posted a work-around by now.  I'll check in on the forum occasionally for an update.

Since upgrading to macOS Sierra, I have had four Mac crash-shutdowns during EyeTV recordings.  I don't recall this ever happening for EyeTV with El Capitan or prior Mac OS version.  The crash-shutdowns terminate the recording and generate a panic report, and happen randomly.

- EyeTV 3.6.9 (3416)

- macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555)

- HD HomeRun ethernet connected TV tuner

I contacted GeniaTech support and got this reply on 16th November:

Currently, there are known compatibility issues
with SierraOS. We are working on a fix, but until then,
all you can do is to make sure that your device and
software are installed properly, that no drivers are missing,
and that neither your firewall nor your antivirus-software
prevent your EyeTV-Software from running.

I should have stayed on El Capitan as EyeTV is the primary use for this Mac Mini.

Edited by chuckles67

On 10/16/2016 at 5:57 PM, CJD2112 said:

Wait, I have EyeTV 3.6.9 (7513) running on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta (16B2548a). I've been using it for a long time as I work for Apple in marketing and we've been testing internal builds well before June's WWDC. Not a problem. Interestingly, I can't find this version anywhere now. What happened to it? Why was it removed?

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 8.57.20 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-16 at 8.57.30 PM.jpg

Hi I am using the same Mac OS software, 10.12..1. Mine is not a beta version. I also am using the EyeTV  3.6.9 (7513). If you are looking for this version of EyeTv software it is available at <www.geniatech.eu/> in the support area. Also there are other EyeTV software versions:

EyeTV 3.6.8 (7410) for OSX El Captain Version 10.11.3

My questions are about the 7415 and 7416 releases. I am not sure I want to experiment with new software until Geniatech sends me some official notice that an new update is available.

Basic rule for all software:

1. Don't be the first to install updates but wait for at least a week.

2. Don't update if there is no improvement that one needs.

3.  Always backup to a clone before any major update.

As Genitech seems to have no interest in posting to this forum I logged an issue with them.  This is there reply:

Hallo Dr Roger Traill,
Thank you for contacting us.

We now have the version 7514. you can download from here:
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/de/software/

The problem with Sierra, our debugging team are working on it. sorry to trouble you. We definitely want to fix this. But not all customers are having problem with Sierra, some does gets a fix after reinstall EyeTV with deinstallation with EyeTV Reporter or reinstallation of Sierra system.
BR
Ningfeng 

Firstly could those who are having problems with EyeTV and Sierra please try this latest version and report back.  Secondly if this doesn't correct the issue please download EyeTV Reporter and send the file with an issue email to Genitech support so as to help sort this problem out.

I haven't updated to Sierra because I need to be sure EyeTV works (7514 seems to run fine on El Capitan but then so did 7513).

On 10/28/2016 at 6:43 AM, kym said:

I suppose I better set CJD2112 straight eh Ton ?

Mario asks a question about which EyeTV works with macOS Sierra ? I reply that NO version of EyeTV works with Sierra because I had already been in contact with Geniatech who had advised that "they were working on it".

Then CJD2112 jumps in and writes ..

So I come back and point out that macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta is NOT the same as the final production macOS Sierra and, as an Apple employee, he should know that a Beta is not the same as a Prod release.  Hell, even a simple Google search will uncover that many people reported EyeTV worked with macOS Sierra Beta but subsequently didn't with the production release.

So even though I copied a direct response from Geniatech support (having supplied them with the version of macOS Sierra and EyeTV I was using .. latest) in which they acknowledged the problem and advised they were working on it .. we have CJD2112 back on the air now telling everyone ...

Don't tell me CJD2112 hacked into my iMac and that's how he knew what version of EyeTV I had installed ?

And also ..

Hey CJD2112 how about:

• Contacting Geniatech support and advise them the matter has been resolved and that they should stop working on a problem that doesn't even exist.
  • Let Mario know the version of EyeTV that will work with the latest release of macOS Sierra PRODUCTION.
  • Maybe asking Geniatech support for a job.

Ton, I realise it will take some time for Geniatech to get across the EyeTV code base but as you say, it's beginning to look like abandonware.  Any suggested alternatives ?

How about behaving as an adult and treating others with the same respect you expect. The anonymity of the internet does not bestow you with the belief respect and maturity no longer matter because we are not speaking face to face.

As per my experience, I do not know why it has never been a problem. I have disabled SIP since 10.11 and always change the permissions on my /Applications folder to ensure my account is included as macOS does not by default and confirm those changes to include subfolders. Sometimes this poses problems with third party applications. Other than those two issues the only other difference was receiving the version I use from EyeTV by Elgato before it was fully acquired.

Edited by CJD2112

On 08/12/2016 at 6:22 AM, CJD2112 said:

How about behaving as an adult and treating others with the same respect you expect. The anonymity of the internet does not bestow you with the belief respect and maturity no longer matter because we are not speaking face to face.

How about not getting on a forum and infer to all vistors that I am stupid "It seems you simply have been using the incorrect version of EyeTV 3" particularly when I had already posted Geniatech Support's advice that the issue was known and that they were working on it.  I afford respect to those who post considered replys (like Ton) but unfortuately that doesn't include you.

On 07/12/2016 at 4:50 PM, rtraill said:

As Genitech seems to have no interest in posting to this forum I logged an issue with them.  This is there reply:

Hallo Dr Roger Traill,
Thank you for contacting us.

We now have the version 7514. you can download from here:
https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/de/software/

The problem with Sierra, our debugging team are working on it. sorry to trouble you. We definitely want to fix this. But not all customers are having problem with Sierra, some does gets a fix after reinstall EyeTV with deinstallation with EyeTV Reporter or reinstallation of Sierra system.
BR
Ningfeng 

Firstly could those who are having problems with EyeTV and Sierra please try this latest version and report back.  Secondly if this doesn't correct the issue please download EyeTV Reporter and send the file with an issue email to Genitech support so as to help sort this problem out.

I haven't updated to Sierra because I need to be sure EyeTV works (7514 seems to run fine on El Capitan but then so did 7513).

Confirming to Genaitech Support (and rtraill) that this specifc version 3.6.9 (7514) has resolved my issue (running MacOS Sierra, EyeTV3 3.6.9 (7514) and Elgato EyeTV DTT).