I've just installed Sonoma on my 2020 i7 iMac and EyeTV crashes at startup.  I was previously running EyeTV 4.0.0 (8528) successfully but the application now crashes with the error message "EyeTV unexpectedly quit. Would you like to send  report so that we can fix the problem?"  This window also locks up and has to be Force Quit.

I've downloaded and reinstalled build 8528 but still get the same problem,  Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?

On 10/3/2023 at 1:32 PM, KevinJ said:

I've downloaded and reinstalled build 8528 but still get the same problem,  Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?

Have you tried Build 8531

Based on past macOS versions, Geniatech is slow to release EyeTV updates for compatibility. But glad to hear that TheMats84 had success.

For anyone with similar issues, I received the following response on a Geniatech support ticked:

Thank you for contacting us.
EyeTV 4 is not very compatible with Sonoma 14.0 yet. We have not released a fully compatible version with MacOS 14.0 yet, 
which may take some time to resolve this issue. You can first rollback to the MacOS 13.0 system
  • Like 1

Thanks for the post about EyeTV on Sonoma 14.0.  I do not need anything in Sonoma, so I will wait and wait to upgrade MacOS -- until a new EyeTV 4 release version comes out and other folks report it working reliably under Sonoma.

This just showed up today: 8532.

I am on a 2023 M2 Pro Mini running 14.1.1, didn't have any issues with 8528 though....YMMV.

Goes without saying, EPG still dead dead dead.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 6.25.26 PM.png

Did you see that Geniatech released a new update to EyeTV 4? In the release notes, it says "Compatible with macOS 14" (Sonoma).

I haven't upgraded yet, but would be curious if anyone has any reports on this latest version.

M2 Pro mini, 14.1.1, 4.0.0 (8532), EyeTV HD, USA,  woks fine for me. Whatever the previous version did as well, no problems. I am still pissed though about the guide DOA all these years. 😠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:03 PM, BobEyeTV said:

M2 Pro mini, 14.1.1, 4.0.0 (8532), EyeTV HD, USA,  woks fine for me. Whatever the previous version did as well, no problems. I am still pissed though about the guide DOA all these years. 😠

Thanks for confirming the Sonoma update, Bob.

About the TV guide capability: are you aware that there is an option of importing TV data from other sources? I use XML TV Listings. It isn't free (I pay $20/year for the data) and you have to be somewhat technical to implement it, but it does work reliably.

Here are the instructionshttps://www.xmltvlistings.com/help/guides/eyetv

I also found this forum thread helpful in implementing it:

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 9:04 AM, Shagberg said:

Thanks for confirming the Sonoma update, Bob.

About the TV guide capability: are you aware that there is an option of importing TV data from other sources? I use XML TV Listings. It isn't free (I pay $20/year for the data) and you have to be somewhat technical to implement it, but it does work reliably.

Here are the instructionshttps://www.xmltvlistings.com/help/guides/eyetv

I also found this forum thread helpful in implementing it:

Thanks Shagberg - I need to do this!

It's 'working' for me in macOS 14.2.  Still crashed when I quit, but plays and records stuff.  Still weirds me out that command+w does not close a window.  Seems like pretty basic stuff.

22 hours ago, bi11jon said:

It's 'working' for me in macOS 14.2.  Still crashed when I quit, but plays and records stuff.  Still weirds me out that command+w does not close a window.  Seems like pretty basic stuff.

Thank you.

I’m still on macOS 13, and it also crashes for me every time I close the app.

Hi Folks,

As yet another long-time user of this pile of software [in the UK, using DVB via a HDHR5 on an iMac 2020 & seprately via an EyeTV T2 lite connected to an M1 Mini], I also have waaay too much experience of EyeTV 4 crashing on exit. Here are my notes on the miriad problems (all noted in the automatic core dump reports I sent to this unresponsive bunch):

Yes, it does crash on exit - BUT ...

For me, closing ALL live [DVB] video windows BEFORE quitting mostly means it doesn't (usually) core dump. For some reason, opening a recorded programme file and leaving that video window open will mostly avoid EyeTV 4 cr*pping out, but having a Live TV window open is pretty much guaranteed to die on exit.

There's still the joy that it will occasionally crash if I'm trying to update the DVB Program Guide -- this seems to happen when it can't find any new programmes on any of the Muxes ("found 0 ..."). That seems to confuse it; it seems to switch to the Channels list spontaneously for a second or so before crashing out.

Thing is, if you don't update the program guide manually this fine example of software tries to update the guide itself, and there seems no way to tell it not to bother. That means if you're displaying the Program Guide, it jumps from channel to channel as it's scanning, which makes it hard to look for programmes as they disappear off the top or bottom of the window.

All in all, an intereesting example of software at its very best -- but from experience, at least you should be able to avoid it crashing most of the time.

I'd be interested to hear if others can also stop the irritating crashes by just closing DVB video windows before hitting Quit (even if they're hidden behind the Program Guide window as it's decided they need to be open at start, despite any preferences to the contrary).

Oh, and if you have any way to get the message over to the developers about what should be glaringly obvious bugs (and that should be easy to fix, as they're pretty much always memory allocation problems that happen in fairly precise situations) I'd be interested in hearing how. Preferably with cattle prods, as it looks like nothing else works.

atb, Lawrence

p.s. I note that the HDHR5 seems to work well with VLC (by exporting the .e2u file from the HDHR [ http://<your-hdhr5-name-here>/lineup.m3u], then text editing that file to sort the channels, then importing the .e2u into VLC and dropping it in as the Media Library. Works for me, anyway (but without being able to pause on the stream, and without recording). At least VLC doesn't crash :D

I just switched from my old Mac Pro with Mac OS 10.14 and eyeTV 3 to a Mac Studio M2 with Mac OS 14.2.1. So, I bought a licence for eyeTV 4 and install the last version (8532).

At startup, the error attached is displayed. In english: "EyeTV can't create an EyeTV archive. EveTV can't continue to run.".

I found a bypass : start from a Terminal with sudo (sudo /Applications/EyeTV.app/Contents/MacOS/EyeTV). With this particular launch, the app works fine (including recording).

Do you have a solution to launch the app directly ?

Capture d’écran 2024-01-14 à 10.30.33.png

The EyeTV archive is nothing more than a folder with the name EyeTV Archive that is placed by the program in the "Documents" folder that is located by default in the folder with your "Username".

If the program fails to create it, this may be due to the fact that that folder is 'finished out of place' or that it has been deleted. However, you should be able to check the existence of that folder on your old Mac ... and (with caution) from that you could also transfer all the content you have recorded in the past.

If your "User Folder" has not been altered and "by chance" only that "Documents" folder is missing, then create a new one and manually enter a folder named EyeTV Archive into it. The program should therefore start normally after redoing the EyeTV Setup Assistant process.

Obviously if your system language is French you may need to locate the correct terms in that language (always from the old installation).

However, you will find a lot of differences from the EyeTV 3.xxx version you are used to. For example: don't try to change a TV channel with the numbers on the keyboard ... it crashes everything ...

Best wishes or Bons voeux

• Like 1

Thank you for this quick reply. To be sure to not have an issue due to the old EyeTV 3 installation, I deleted this old app and the preferences (using EyeTV Reporter).

But I kept my old folder "Eye TV Archive". It works well when EyeTV 4 is launched with the "sudo" command. I tried with a new folder, as my original one is on one external volume. The issue is not solved. EyeTV has the "full access to disk" in the security panel of Sonoma. I also tried to give read/write access to everyone on this folder. Without success.

Fortunately, as I can launch EyeTV 4 with my bypass, I can access to the settings and change the "Eye TV Archive" location.

So, its seems not directly link to my "Eye TV Archive" folder. 

I saw the error "ECMicroStackChain | virtual void ECMicroStackChain::Unblock()]: Failed to unblock!" in the terminal, when I launch manually the app. With the sudo, it's not blocking. With the normal launching, I assume that this error is the source of the message and of the stop. 

I solved my issue. The root cause was an alias "EyeTV Archive" on my Documents folder (with this folder saved in my Dropbox & with the original item no more available). The settings of EyeTV was displaying the folder I chose. But I found in /Library/Preferences/com.elagto.eyetv.plist a path to the alias.

I deleted the alias, launched EyeTV, changed the settings and restarted. 

18 hours ago, Gautier said:

Ho risolto il mio problema. La causa principale era un alias "EyeTV Archive" sulla mia cartella Documenti (con questa cartella salvata nel mio Dropbox e con l'elemento originale non più disponibile). Le impostazioni di EyeTV visualizzavano la cartella che ho scelto. Ma ho trovato in /Library/Preferences/com.elagto.eyetv.plist un percorso per l'alias.

Ho cancellato l'alias, avviato EyeTV, cambiato le impostazioni e riavviato.

18 hours ago, Gautier said:

Ho risolto il mio problema. La causa principale era un alias "EyeTV Archive" sulla mia cartella Documenti (con questa cartella salvata nel mio Dropbox e con l'elemento originale non più disponibile). Le impostazioni di EyeTV visualizzavano la cartella che ho scelto. Ma ho trovato in /Library/Preferences/com.elagto.eyetv.plist un percorso per l'alias.

Ho cancellato l'alias, avviato EyeTV, cambiato le impostazioni e riavviato.

Bonjour tout le monde

Je viens de passer mon Mac mini M1 de Ventura 13.6.3 à Sonoma 14.2.1.

J'ai supprimé EyeTV 4 (8528) grâce à AppCleaner.

J'ai installé EyeTV 4 (8532)

Avant de lancer le programme, j'ai tapé dans le terminal la commande : sudo codesign --remove-signature /Applications/EyeTV.app/Contents/MacOS/EyeTV indiquée par Rened dans un autre post.

J'ai lancé EyeTV en faisant un clic droit puis ouvrir sur l'icône.

Le programme se lance et sur certaines chaînes de la TNT (TF1 par exemple) les images sont toujours saccadées.

Quelle que soit la façon dont je coupe le programme, il y a toujours un message d'erreur, parfois tout de suite, parfois au relancement.

Sinon tout le reste est ok

;) 

I solved my issue. The root cause was an alias "EyeTV Archive" on my Documents folder (with this folder saved in my Dropbox & with the original item no more available). The settings of EyeTV was displaying the folder I chose. But I found in /Library/Preferences/com.elagto.eyetv.plist a path to the alias.

I deleted the alias, launched EyeTV, changed the settings and restarted. 

I'm glad you found the source of your problem. It will certainly be useful to others.

Personally I hate any form of Cloud, including Dropbox. On the net I only go there with the Smartphone, while serious things I do exclusively on the Desktop NEVER connected to the network and only updated in manual. For decades we have been feeding, with everything that concerns us, servers whose "parallel uses" we don't know at all. Now we find out that Artificial (?)Intelligences(?) are fed (or do they "feed"?) with everything that is available and poorly protected on the web. Basically we have put ourselves, for our comfort and with our superficiality, the premises for some "superior entity" to sooner or later do and undo what it will prefer. I strongly doubt that there will be a human at the head ... and maybe "a good one" ...

Edited by Macuser51