MacSound

Eye TV4 and Eye TV HD

Eye TV4 and Eye TV HD

I bought this horrible update EyeTV 4, and it constantly crashes and I have to uninstall and reinstall then it works for a little but

but ultimately crashes again. I just want it for recording stuff. The old EyeTV 3 is great and works well but does not run

on modern Mac OS. So I was delighted when I saw there was a 64bit version. What a disappointment! Totally un reliable

and it does  list the EyeTV HD as a compatible hardware. I want my refund but they have not replied to my emails. BEWARE!

I am calling PayPal to let them know.

UPDATE: So I contacted Geniatech with the issues I am having and they refunded me for the software so that's great. But no answers or response from support as to why it crashes. I did find that if I do not have my EyeTV HD connected then the software does not crash but of course that defeats its purpose. So I am happy to have my money back but would gladly buy the software if they fix it to work with the old EyeTV HD as its a great little box. If they don't want to support it then they should just take it off the list of supported devices! Another thing is when I launch the software I got this warning

"Your activation key has been invalidated. Enter a new activation key above. If you find this to be an error, please contact Geniatech Customer Service."

So it seems you are doing an online handshake everytime you launch the software which might mean it won't work offline, not sure but the fact they can remote invalidate your activation is interesting. I will use the EyeTV Reporter app to hopefully remove all reminisce  of EyeTV4.

I find Geniatech is not good at interactive user support.  I strongly suspect that before installing EyeTV 4, everyone ought to first use their EyeTV Reporter tool to remove all traces of EyeTV 3.x.  That is what I had to do -- years ago -- to successfully install EyeTV 4.

With that caveat,  EyeTV 4 (8531) works for me on both an M2 Mini and an i5 MBP, running MacOS 13.6.1 on the Mini and 12.latest on the MBP and using an (ATSC, not DVB-T/T2) Hybrid USB stick.  EyeTV 4 still is a bit quirky, compared with EyeTV 3, especially in editing, but it works well enough for my purposes.

We need a new company that is better than Geniatech. Is there anything out there that has better customer support and better software? When Geniatech loses customers and money they might do better or go out of business. Eyetv used to be great now it sucks. I won't recommend this platform until they change.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 10:25 AM, ATSC-user said:

I find Geniatech is not good at interactive user support.  I strongly suspect that before installing EyeTV 4, everyone ought to first use their EyeTV Reporter tool to remove all traces of EyeTV 3.x.  That is what I had to do -- years ago -- to successfully install EyeTV 4.

With that caveat,  EyeTV 4 (8531) works for me on both an M2 Mini and an i5 MBP, running MacOS 13.6.1 on the Mini and 12.latest on the MBP and using an (ATSC, not DVB-T/T2) Hybrid USB stick.  EyeTV 4 still is a bit quirky, compared with EyeTV 3, especially in editing, but it works well enough for my purposes.

EyeTV is probably the main thing keeping me from moving up to a newer mac at this point. I'm on a 2012 Mini running Sierra. Have another eyeTV on a 2014 Mini running High Sierra.

$29 doesn't seen like a ridiculous amount to risk on seeing if the 64 bit version plays nice with my EyeTVs, which are 2009 (NTSC) with FM tuner.

Do you think testing EyeTV4 on my current macs with current OS would get me anywhere in terms of determining how I would fare on a M2 Mini?