OldETVGuy

eyetv TV Guide out of stock?

I've tried the reorder path from last year's renew without success.
I've had no reply to my inquiry to https://www.geniatech.eu/contact/
I've tried to contact https://www.tvguide.com but their support page is dead.  
So I tried sending an email, but all addresses report non-delivery: 
info@tvguide.com, help@tvguide.com, sales@tvguide.com

SUCH HUMAN LOSS OF CONTROL OF TECHNOLOGY WILL CONFINE US TO PLANET EARTH!

Same for me, I try to purchase a subscription for 2019 and I get an "out of stock" message. Wrote a ticket for support but no reply so far. This happens every year for North American customer. Using Mac Mini late 2013, EyeTv 3.6.9 which is stable on Mac OS 10.12.6, Genitech HD Home run dual.

I wrote to Genitech and got this reply: 
Thank you for your request.

There is something wrong with the subscription. We are fixing it. We will inform you immediately once it is back to normal.

Kind regards,

Angela 

01/28/2019 18:13 - Geniatech - EyeTV 3 OS X Support wrote:

I have noticed the same issue. I have several recurring programs that are not showing new episodes and the Gide ends on Feb 4th. Thats happened before occasionally and I simply did the Update Guide feature to get it back up and running. My current TV Guide subscription runs through June or July of this year.

First they no longer supported the HD Homerun without notice (an eyetv software upgrade killed it). I had to downgrade the software to keep using my HD Homerun. AND it looks like the software is 32 bit and any 64 bit update will be of no use if it does not support the HD Homerun.

Now this. This glitch better be temporary or I want a refund.

I have been a loyal eyetv "cord cutter" for many years and this recent buy out has been nothing but bad news. I have already moved over to Plex but their schedule grid is hard to use which is why I have enjoyed the eyetv guide for so long. I also enjoy editing eyetv recordings which Plex can't do (yet).

Eyetv (or Geniatech), please fix this guide interruption asap.

• Like 1

I received this reply to my support request for support on Jan 30, 2019:

There is something wrong with the subscription. We are fixing it. We will inform you immediately once it is back to normal.
Kind regards,
Angela 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Out of Stock?

That is it, nothing else. I still have no TV Guide subscription.  Now What?

Edited by JimBob

Like others, my TV Guide listings end abruptly at 5 pm (Central Time) tomorrow, Tuesday 2/5. Hope they fix it. Meanwhile here is a workaround (which I just tested): program recordings manually by going to the Schedules section of EyeTV and clicking on the New button, then enter all the info manually. See "How do I manually schedule a recording" on page 22 of the EyeTV3 user manual. You do have to know what programs you want, which is inconvenient, but all other functions of the EyeTV software appear to work normally - recording, waking the Mac up to record, filing in a playlist, repeat recording of episodes, etc. (I just tested all but the last).

I haven't ever tested it, but the user manual claims (p.18) that "EyeTV can also build an EPG from information contained in a digital broadcast" for users with no access to an EPG. Has anyone ever tried doing this? I guess that will be a last ditch effort.

TV guide service is down here as well. Nothing being updated after Feb. 4th.

And, ATSC/Open cable does not work either (I have previously used ATSC data for some channels for which there was no TV Guide data). So, the EPG data from the signal is now NOT available as a substitute. It seems the whole program service is broken.

As I don't know what shows to record until I get a listing of those shows, manual entry is not an effective solution.

The ATSC/Open cable is now working without any TV guide connection or data. Under channels, you need to switch from TV guide to ATSC for EPG data.

The ATSC data will only go about a day or two, and you need to manually update I think.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:13 AM, EYEMISSELGATO said:

I wrote to Genitech and got this reply: 

Kind regards,

Angela 

01/28/2019 18:13 - Geniatech - EyeTV 3 OS X Support wrote:

That is exactly the same message I received from my email send Jan, 2019. I guess I need to open another support ticket.

12 minutes ago, JimBob said:

That is exactly the same message I received from my email send Jan, 2019. I guess I need to open another support ticket.

You sir, are an optimist.  I think Geniatech has bailed on the North American market.

• Thanks 1

Back in September the company that was servicing our EPG with TV Guide data (Rovi) bought out TIVO and now operates under the TIVO name.

TIVO may see the El Gato/Geniatech products as rivals to their DVRs. 

I asked an attorney about a class action lawsuit. I was told that "if the EULA contains an arbitration clause you're wasting your time."

The EULA is nowhere to be found.

TIVO and TV Guide both go to great leangth not to communicate with customers. Just go to their websites and try to find "contact us" or "support".

Angela (who may be a robot) is the only one who has answered me. Two weeks ago she said:

Hello Mel,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The restoration has been completed. We are testing it now. We will inform you immediately once it is finished testing.               

Kind regards,

Angela 

Geniatech EyeTV Support Team

^@Mel Knoy and anyone else seeing this - go to two other much more active discussions in EyeTV Forums to bring you up to date on what's been going on by users:

"TV Guide not Updating" which is under the EyeTV 3 section of Forums, and "EPG from XMLTV Listings" which is in the EPG-TV Guide section of Forums. The former has been very active, and includes information on how to install an equivalent substitute for the TV Guide EPG from either of two available North American sources. As for Angela, her name seems to be on all the correspondence, but someone there IS responding; the answer you get from her has been changing, and "she" has provided a link to the beta of a new build of EyeTV, which is real (I downloaded it and looked at it on an isolated unused machine) which has you using EyeTV's own "premium" EPG service. I know it does exist and runs successfully in Germany (where Geniatech was originally located after Elgato sold EyeTV), and you can see it continually updating in the version of EyeTV we use here. So there might be some hope. Anyway, look at the posts on the forums I mentioned and you'll get a lot of info.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, Mel Knoy said:

The EULA is nowhere to be found.

Find EULA in EyeTV menu:

Help -> "Software-License terms"