alanK

EPG TV Guide in USA not working

Recommended Posts

On 8/9/2022 at 5:02 AM, bobbyb said:

Looking at their blog, all the posts have 9 Aug as the post date. Maybe they had a system failure, and they are just getting it back up ... sort of. No reason not to let us know tho.

 

The dates on the Geniatech website have been all over the place for years. Most just seem to show the current date

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a 15 year user of usb tv tuner I realize it’s hard to do programming for multiple country’s and regions 

I give Geniatech credit for trying

i will not stop using my usb tuner but find a way to use it

My use is MacBook Pro 2007 with version 3

Mac mini 2018 with 8 tb external storage for EyeTV

my way is xmltvlistings.com

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2022 at 2:42 AM, starliner said:

Geniatech responded  to an email inquiry and said on August 11 they are working an EPG server error and "...it will be fixed soon".

That's all I know.

We all know what Geniatech means when they say "soon". Just remember how long it took to get a 64-Bit-Version for the Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi TBone, Thanks. Does this also work with EyeTV Smart Guides once its downloaded and dragged into eyetv?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When are they going to use the excuse of "It's a supply chain issue" Or they were shut down by the Chinese authorities after one person in another province had covid last year.

This is just BS.  How long does it take to correct a server error.

I've got a masters of electrical engineering degree with a strong computer science background and know my way around IT/Networking / server design and maintenance.  Pay my way (first class airfare) and I'll get it back up for them.

They used the same lame excuse (BS) when they had the last major outage lasting months.  I suspect they can't pay their bills to whomever hosts the server, or the fees to TV Guide.

I keep posting like this so maybe they respond.  One can hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see that Geniatech is selling the subscription to Premium EPG Service for either NA or Europe, so I do not think we are getting back the TV Guide service. I sent another support request today. I did not get a response to my first one from early last week.

Please don't keep kicking a dying (and archaic) horse (Geniatech). Hopefully we can all get our money back and find another service that works.

I am looking into devices to attach to TV and record over air TV if I can't figure out XMLTV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now I reported the problem with Geniatech Premium EyeTV Service to PayPal (service "not as described"). Easy to do. Attached image of EyeTV Program Guide Diagnostics failing. Also mentioned that Geniatech is not selling the subscriptions at this time (not even an "Out Of Stock" notice like in the past). There is no description page for the service.

I have not asked for refund, yet. Mostly I want a quick resolution and open communication with Geniatech.

"Also sent another support request 8/18/2022. Received remote response. First request 8/11/2022 got not response at all. Subscription service is for macOS based DVR software (EyeTV). Paid service from Geniatech is programming lineup database (Premium EPG Service). The download for the programming is failing. Has not worked since August 8, 2022. Company had several weeks outage in July to Aug. 2021 and July to Aug. 2018. I received extensions to the subscriptions in both cases. Perhaps pressure from PayPal will decrease the outage time?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like someone at Geniatech does not like my negative comments as my acerbic comments here yesterday are gone today.  Maybe their government is monitoring this forum.

If you have the time to do that, then you have the time to f'in fix the site.

Class action lawsuit would be appropriate if only you had even one employee in the US.

You should have never purchased this company if you did not know how to make it work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TBinNM said:

Just now I reported the problem with Geniatech Premium EyeTV Service to PayPal (service "not as described"). Easy to do. Attached image of EyeTV Program Guide Diagnostics failing. Also mentioned that Geniatech is not selling the subscriptions at this time (not even an "Out Of Stock" notice like in the past). There is no description page for the service.

I have not asked for refund, yet. Mostly I want a quick resolution and open communication with Geniatech.

"Also sent another support request 8/18/2022. Received remote response. First request 8/11/2022 got not response at all. Subscription service is for macOS based DVR software (EyeTV). Paid service from Geniatech is programming lineup database (Premium EPG Service). The download for the programming is failing. Has not worked since August 8, 2022. Company had several weeks outage in July to Aug. 2021 and July to Aug. 2018. I received extensions to the subscriptions in both cases. Perhaps pressure from PayPal will decrease the outage time?"

Replying to myself!

I got a full refund from Geniatech ia PayPal. Not expecting that and so soon. I was really hoping the Geniatech "engineers" would fix the problem. Sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried asking for a PayPal refund and was denied for the reason below.

We received the case(s) you filed on August 20, 2022.
We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). Cases must be filed within 180 days from the date of the transaction. The decision to deny was made because the case was submitted after the 180-day deadline. Therefore, we are unable to offer a resolution toward this matter at this time.
We're sorry for any problems you may have experienced with the transaction(s).

My deadline was July 14th to file a complaint bad luck for me.

I have sucessfully converted to  XMLTVListings.com data. Using information in the "Guide To Using XMLTVListings.com as EPG Source For EyeTV" page.
https://www.xmltvlistings.com/help/guides/eyetv

It took me 10 hours or so to set up. Might be easier for others. My Spectrum/Charter channel lineup is overly complicated with duplicate and channels I do not use.

There are a few small holes in the data for my cable lineup but mostly working fine for the last few days.

Also I noticed on the Geniatech website support page you can not really enter an issue for eyetv Premium EPG Service (USA & Canada) since it is not in the list of current products.

Edited by M*N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, M*N said:

Tried asking for a PayPal refund and was denied for the reason below.

We received the case(s) you filed on August 20, 2022.
We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). Cases must be filed within 180 days from the date of the transaction. The decision to deny was made because the case was submitted after the 180-day deadline. Therefore, we are unable to offer a resolution toward this matter at this time.
We're sorry for any problems you may have experienced with the transaction(s).

My deadline was July 14th to file a complaint bad luck for me.

I have sucessfully converted to  XMLTVListings.com data. Using information in the "Guide To Using XMLTVListings.com as EPG Source For EyeTV" page.
https://www.xmltvlistings.com/help/guides/eyetv

It took me 10 hours or so to set up. Might be easier for others. My Spectrum/Charter channel lineup is overly complicated with duplicate and channels I do not use.

There are a few small holes in the data for my cable lineup but mostly working fine for the last few days.

Also I noticed on the Geniatech website support page you can not really enter an issue for eyetv Premium EPG Service (USA & Canada) since it is not in the list of current products.

I should add that you only need to do the setup once and then run the update once a day using a text command in the Mac osx terminal app.

 

I am running EyeTV 4 on a Mac running Big Sur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My "Premium EPG Service (USA & Canada) stopped working nearly two weeks ago. My subscription was paid through Nov 10, 2022 (order number 120279). I filed a service request and didn't hear anything from Geniatech. I hope that they can resolve the problem soon as we rely on it for our over the air TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, I am wondering whether my cable company changing my IP address kicked me off the EPG server and that is why I cannot get the data. Like most consumers, I have a dynamic IP address and this can be changed at random times by the cable company. An electrical storm shut off our power a day before I restarted my computer and found that my EPG was gone. It is likely that my IP address got changed by the cable company when they restarted their service. I am guessing the IP address change might be the problem because when I tried to reuse the "link to activate" URL that Geniatech gave me to start the subscription last November, eyeTV launched, established a link to their sever, but then signaled me with "Your EPG subscription could not be activated. **The renewal code has already been used**." I am wondering whether the subscription that I paid for was linked to the IP address that they got during the initial activation and, to prevent people from using the EPG subscription at many locations, Geniatech uses the subscriber's original IP address to verify the EPG database use. Does anyone have insight into this possible cause of the outage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jesse said:

As an aside, I am wondering whether my cable company changing my IP address kicked me off the EPG server and that is why I cannot get the data. Like most consumers, I have a dynamic IP address and this can be changed at random times by the cable company. An electrical storm shut off our power a day before I restarted my computer and found that my EPG was gone. It is likely that my IP address got changed by the cable company when they restarted their service. I am guessing the IP address change might be the problem because when I tried to reuse the "link to activate" URL that Geniatech gave me to start the subscription last November, eyeTV launched, established a link to their sever, but then signaled me with "Your EPG subscription could not be activated. **The renewal code has already been used**." I am wondering whether the subscription that I paid for was linked to the IP address that they got during the initial activation and, to prevent people from using the EPG subscription at many locations, Geniatech uses the subscriber's original IP address to verify the EPG database use. Does anyone have insight into this possible cause of the outage?

I don't think that your IP address is the problem because all of us other users are also unable to connect to the EPG server. It's a technical error on Geniatech side which they try to solve for about two weeks now :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2022 at 9:36 AM, SKL said:

Hi TBone, Thanks. Does this also work with EyeTV Smart Guides once its downloaded and dragged into eyetv?

 

Yes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m gonna wait and see

I’ve waited 6 months in the past for it to work and got a 6 month credit

The MacBook Pro still works with XML

The Mac Mini does not because i did a full restore trying the new OS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the USA program guide service is still down, right? That is question #1.

Question #2 is, my subscription expired, and I sure don’t want to send them any more money until the guide is working again. But now I can’t even find how to renew if I wanted to. The EyeTV North America guide links seem to redirect to the EyeTV app software. Are they even selling a North America TV guide service any more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tvparty2nite said:

Sounds like the USA program guide service is still down, right? That is question #1.

Question #2 is, my subscription expired, and I sure don’t want to send them any more money until the guide is working again. But now I can’t even find how to renew if I wanted to. The EyeTV North America guide links seem to redirect to the EyeTV app software. Are they even selling a North America TV guide service any more?

No. Believe your eyes. I am using XMLTV for my EPG data. I just get over air channels so set up was relatively easy (short channel list).

If Premium EPG service ever returns it will show that Geniatech still wants to stay in this field. Then I will buy EyeTV 4 and update my macOS to Monterey. I have an old 24-inch iMac I can keep running EyeTV 3, but I love the 5K retina 27-inch screen of my every day entertainment computer (WoW, Netflix, YouTube and OATV), so I really hope Geniatech fixes things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a response to my support request. I noted the oldproducts-support in the reply. Make what you will of the response.

Re: [Ticket#2022082016000092] Support Anfrage eyetv-oldproducts-support@eu-geniatech.com
Wed, Aug 24, 9:26 PM (17 hours ago)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us.

Very sorry for the inconvenience to you. 
We are working on the server error of EPG, it will be fixed soon. I will send you feedback once we have a solution. 

Your EPG validity period will be extended the time for the outage period. 

Our engineer is really trying to solve it. Our engineer may need some time. 
Best Regards,
Kelly 

--------

I too have moved on to  XMLTVListings.com. It works fine on EyeTV 4 on macos Big Sur. I will not bother to go back to the Geniatech EPG even if it ever comes back.

 

The url  "Guide To Using XMLTVListings.com as EPG Source For EyeTV" page.
https://www.xmltvlistings.com/help/guides/eyetv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, M*N said:

Best Regards,
Kelly 

Got the same message from "Kelly" on 8/24/2022. Was also offered extension on subscription--even though I already got a refund via PayPal.

I did not notice the email address before, M*N!

eyetv-oldproducts-support@eu-geniatech.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Geniatech,

The major networks begin their new fall season in less than 6 days... IT WOULD BE SO NICE TO KNOW THAT YOUR ENGINEERS HAVE SOLVE THE "PROBLEM" (Or the office finally scraped together enough cash to pay your vendors like TV Guide).

IT'S BEEN ONE MONTH SINCE I REPORTED IT AND NEARLY 7 WEEKS WITH NO USE OF THE PROGRAM GUIDE.

There is no such thing as a server problem that takes this long to fix. STOP LYING ABOUT IT.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Geniatech,

The major networks begin their new fall season in less than 6 days... IT WOULD BE SO NICE TO KNOW THAT YOUR ENGINEERS HAVE SOLVE THE "PROBLEM" (Or the office finally scraped together enough cash to pay your vendors like TV Guide).

IT'S BEEN ONE MONTH SINCE I REPORTED IT AND NEARLY 7 WEEKS WITH NO USE OF THE PROGRAM GUIDE.

There is no such thing as a server problem that takes this long to fix. STOP LYING ABOUT IT.

While I'm listed as a 'Newbie,' I've been using Eye-TV for more than 10 years!!  FIX THIS!!!

Edited by Doug Craig
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.