tvparty2nite

EyeTV 3 and 4 not loading OTA program guide info

Clearly Geniatech didn't want to strike the same deal with TVGuide that ElGato had.

Even when the guide actually works, it's nowhere near the quality it was 3 years ago.. even the schedulesdirect guides are better than the "Premium" guide from Geniatech...

...makes no difference though if the guide doesn't actually function.

I have a MacBook Pro M1 with EyeTV 4 on it.  I do not like the new program however the program guide works.  My preferred Mac for EyeTV is my old iMac 27 inch running High Sierra and EyeTV3.   I like EyeTV3 so much better and the MacBook isn't always set up since it is portable.  Can I download EyeTV4 to the iMac?  Will it cause problems?  

11 minutes ago, pdhill77 said:

I have a MacBook Pro M1 with EyeTV 4 on it.  I do not like the new program however the program guide works.  My preferred Mac for EyeTV is my old iMac 27 inch running High Sierra and EyeTV3.   I like EyeTV3 so much better and the MacBook isn't always set up since it is portable.  Can I download EyeTV4 to the iMac?  Will it cause problems?  

You need Mojave to run EyeTV 4.  Can your iMac run Mojave?  If so, and you upgrade to it, you can run both versions of EyeTV on your iMac - see previous posts.

My primary system is stuck at Yosemite. Yes, I know is very old at this point, but due to critical software that will not run in anything newer it's stuck at 10.10.5. Upgrading to (and spending money for) EyeTV 4 , in order to get the program guide, which I've already paid for, is not a solution. I suspect it's not a solution for many.

I have other Macs capable of running more recent OS versions that I can update, but they are never used for EyeTV.

22 Days now....

If the guide comes back for EyeTV 3, I hope someone mentions it here .... my subscription term just expired, so won't know to renew otherwise.

Wonder how many customers (who might not check here) they shake off each time service goes out for weeks/months at a time.  Wonder how many are left!

Edited by starliner
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 1:37 PM, starliner said:

If the guide comes back for EyeTV 3, I hope someone mentions it here .... my subscription term just expired, so won't know to renew otherwise.

Wonder how many customers (who might not check here) they shake off each time service goes out for weeks/months at a time.  Wonder how many are left!

Oh, yes. We will let the forum know if we get the Premium Guide data back for EyeTV 3. I am getting impatient, but still understand that a company with few developers (such as Geniatech) do have a hard time. And they may be on their last legs as a company, who knows?

Okay folks. I got a beta from Angela. It looks like we (EyeTV 3 folks) are being moved to TV Guide for the program source in US and Canada. I tried updating the TV Guide Program Guide in the beta app and there was a server failure. Guess it is not ready for prime time (LOL).

What is EyeTV 4 using?

..by default EyeTV3 originally used TVGuide data... at least it has always defaulted to that here prior to the last guide debacle and subsequent update.

Originally there are 3 choices...

1. none
  2. TVGuide
  3. XML

After the last guide issue in 2019 the choices changed.

1. none
  2. EyeTVEPGPremium
  3. XML

Sounds more like you may not have gotten an "update" at all, but rather an older version.

Unless they are actually moving back to TVGuide, but not sure why they would have ever left TVGuide to begin with. The TVGuide data was much, much, much better than anything else I've seen.

Edited by NotInUse

After a couple of hiccups on my part, I have a beta of EyeTV 3 running and it has downloaded the EPG from TV Guide. I had to delete the the old database before the new would come down. Seems to be working, folks.

9 hours ago, akanter said:

Angela sent me an app to download for 7530 but the iCloud link is not valid.

I had the issue too, seemingly. Then I tried again later and the app was downloaded to the Applications folder (on my iMac) after I gave permission for the download to complete. Angela said to try a different browser as a troubleshooting measure.

17 hours ago, NotInUse said:

..by default EyeTV3 originally used TVGuide data... at least it has always defaulted to that here prior to the last guide debacle and subsequent update.

Originally there are 3 choices...

1. none
  2. TVGuide
  3. XML

After the last guide issue in 2019 the choices changed.

1. none
  2. EyeTVEPGPremium
  3. XML

Sounds more like you may not have gotten an "update" at all, but rather an older version.

Unless they are actually moving back to TVGuide, but not sure why they would have ever left TVGuide to begin with. The TVGuide data was much, much, much better than anything else I've seen.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31MOD.jpg

From within the app... EyeTV3 -> Check for Updates.. 3.6.9 (7530) update is found

Installed

Had to do some clearing of EPG and resetting of channels, but YAY the guide is back!

THANK YOU!