Phillie14586

TV Guide not updating

Same issue as everyone else.  I spent about a week off and on messing with it and it wouldn't download any new data.  Just stuck at February 5th.  My Guide service is good until the end of November.  I emailed them for support or a refund of my 10 months of guide service if they can't fix.  Fingers crossed I hear something back...preferably the guide being fixed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Russ One said:

I've looked at Plex and Kodi a number of times but the biggest issue with them is they do not group recordings by show in sub menus and to find a show you have to scroll through, in my case thousands of shows, which is a HUGH PIA.

Russ, Do you know about the script that was around the original EyeTV forum that renamed files for use in Kodi and Plex? The EyeTV plugin in Kodi just basically shows you your EyeTV archive folder. The script will create a separate folder that you use as the source for TV shows in Kodi. The script then populates this folder with alias to the EyeTV recordings with the correct naming to allow Kodi to scrape and list your shows correctly. 

I looked at some of the EyeTV competition last year and didn't find any that even came close to the scheduling and editing capabilities of EyeTV. With the loss of HDHomerun support and probably no 64bit support even without HDHomerun support not sure how much longer I was going to be able to run this. I was hoping Apple would make another decent tower before the 64bit change over but that is even suspect, I don't have any need for a laptop stuffed in a monitor computer. I am getting closer and closer to getting a cheap windows machine to use just as a PVR.

I'm running into trouble right off with TitanTV. I can edit the lineup *red toolbox) by changing the order of channels in the listing, but when I return to the listings, these changes aren't reflected. There's no explicit save button. The changes I make in My Channel Lineups stick, but just don't show up in the listings, though it is supposed to be the default lineup. Pretty confusing.

6 minutes ago, Earl Noe said:

I'm running into trouble right off with TitanTV. I can edit the lineup *red toolbox) by changing the order of channels in the listing, but when I return to the listings, these changes aren't reflected. There's no explicit save button. The changes I make in My Channel Lineups stick, but just don't show up in the listings, though it is supposed to be the default lineup. Pretty confusing.

Earl - click on "site preferences" at the top of the page and find "Default Sort Grid" and change it to "Lineup Order"

To DC Rackerby:  Schedules Direct is also my backup plan (assuming TV Guide EPG is extinct), but information on how it works would be appreciated. Specifically, having studied the Schedule Direct web site (but not actually done anything), picking a channel listing and setting your channel lineup seem straightforward when receiving over the air via antenna (which I do). And so does downloading a 7-day schedule (leaving the 14-day aside for now). On the EyeTV side, I assume you manually set all channels to xmltv in the EPG column. But I'm missing that final link: having EyeTV recognize the Schedules Direct EPG file. Does it happen automatically? Do you drag the file onto the EyeTV program icon? (one blog post on the net suggested that) Any guidance you can provide would be appreciated. I asked this same question 24 hours ago at Schedules Direct, but have not gotten a response. [I am in USA - Wisconsin, where Schedules Direct displayed an expected range of preset lineups to choose from, though I couldn't judge their content without signing up; using a Mac running 10.11.6].

I'm in Illinois and haven't been able to log in to the forum until now. Don't know what that was about? I have been using ATSC/Open Cable since Feb. 5th. And, I have been checking out xmldv. I'll give Geniatech a couple of weeks and then probably switch over to xmldv.

PS, I have 2 eyetv hybrids. One running on a 2009 MacMini and the other running on a 2010 MacMini (which has my full iTunes library - up to 4 TB on a 5 TB HD). Both computers are running eyetv 3.6.9 (7524), as well as El Capitan (10.11.6). I use Identify to add metatarsi for my iTunes library (and that is no longer supported, so I believe Mac OSX 10.11.6 is the last OS it works on. My laptops are running High Sierra (10.13.6) and I have eyetv on them But since Identify doesn't work on High Sierra I don't use eyetv on them either. Do any of you use a replacement for Identify?

Well, so much for TitanTV, sort of.

Seems that it in remote scheduling mode it tends to skip or lose shows and once you schedule a show it will not let you do it again.

I tried deleting from EyeTV schedules the shows I programed then went back to TitanTV and could not reschedule a show again even though it makes you think it did.

It does work ok when doing a direct download from browser to the same computer EyeTV is running on but that means sitting in front of the TV to do it.

Not exactly wife friendly.

23 hours ago, dannyg said:

A little more tutorial for TitanTV. My earlier tutorial was for doing remote scheduling (where your eyeTV software polls TitanTV for programs you've saved on the site), which I find useful for my usual week-long bulk scheduling tasks. Following up on Ed Noe's earlier post, you can also schedule single programs from TitanTV without using the Remote settings on titantv.com or in eyeTV preferences. You still need to set up a free account and set your channel lineup to match your provider.

1. Find a program on TitanTV you want to record and click on it.

2. In the popup window, click on the big red circular button.

3. This action downloads a file named program.tvpi to your Mac. I use the Chrome browser, so the file name shows up in the browser's bottom bar. But in Safari, it appears in the list of downloads visible from the downloads icon at the right in the browser's titlebar. In either case, double-click on the file (or locate it in the Finder and do the same). If you have eyeTV running with the Schedules view, you'll see the program added to the schedule, and the program.tvpi file is deleted. The file is no longer needed; when the program is in the Schedules list, you're all set -- await the future!

Now, I have an ancient eyeTV tuner (analog) running on a Comcast cable system (which goes out anytime someone in Schenectady sneezes). As I mentioned in an earlier post, the channel names may be different between eyeTV and TitanTV, even though the channel number alignments are correct. I found it necessary for several channels to edit the channel names in eyeTV and/or TitanTV to get them to match, allowing eyeTV to add the programs without complaint. For example, "Comedy Central (West)" on eyeTV won't match with TitanTV's "CMDY-W" designation. The steps to fix this are a little tedious, but you only have to go through it once per channel you need to change. This renaming is also necessary if you use the Remote Scheduling option I described in an earlier post.

In eyeTV:

1. Activate the Channels view, and scroll so the desired channel listing is visible.

2. Ctrl-click on the row with that channel to view an action popup menu.

3. Choose Rename..., and enter a SHORT description (e.g. for Comedy Central, I use CMDY), and click Rename in the dialog box.

At TitanTV:

4. Click on the red toolbox icon near the top center of the page, next to the programming provider.

5. Click on the My Channel Lineups tab. Click the Edit Channels button for the lineup you use (you probably have only one).

6. Scroll to your desired channel listing row, and click the Edit button.

7. Change the Callsign field to the same name as in eyeTV Step 3, above (e.g, CMDY for my Comedy Central channel). This field is artificially short at TitanTV, so don't expect to enter long names here. Entries may also be case-sensitive. Click Save Changes when done.

8. Click "TitanTV Listings" at the top left of the page to return to the channel listings.

Now test your work by clicking on a future program for the just-edited channel, and the red record button. Double-click the program.tvpi downloaded file and see if the eyeTV Schedules list accepts the program. If there is a naming problem, you'll see an error about the channel designation. Go back and try another name for both entries, or just confirm that both are identical to each other.

Hope this helps you out as hope fades for TVGuide ever coming back to eyeTV,

Danny (dannyg.com)

I am interested how you got this naming to work. EyeTV appends the channel number onto the name in the Where on the schedule page. I changed the call sign field in Titan to reflect this number name but EyeTV still does not recognize what channel to use. Have to edit the schedule and select the channel in the dropdown on the page. I have also tried making the name and call sign field the same also but that does not work either.

Does the XMLTV bring in metadata about the show? Most important is indicating if new or repeat. Season and episode number would be a big plus. I tired the ATSC but it only has show name nothing else.

THIS IS OFF-TOPIC

But I will ask anyway, while I'm thinking of it. Has anyone written an Apple script that warns if you try to sleep the computer while EyeTV is recording? That is my principal cause of recording failures.

1 hour ago, Phillie14586 said:

I am interested how you got this naming to work. EyeTV appends the channel number onto the name in the Where on the schedule page. I changed the call sign field in Titan to reflect this number name but EyeTV still does not recognize what channel to use. Have to edit the schedule and select the channel in the dropdown on the page. I have also tried making the name and call sign field the same also but that does not work either.

I have also tried various renaming schemes, and cut and pasted the same name in both eyetv and titan, with no luck. Always says it can't find the station even when it clearly has the correct number and name, and I have to manually enter the correct channel with an edit on eyetv. 

On 2/5/2019 at 10:10 PM, dannyg said:

Here are the basic TitanTV steps (using titantv.com). 

1. First, set yourself up as a user (free) and log in.

2. Click on the Site Preferences menu item at the top.

3. Click on My Channel Lineups tab.

4. If it hasn't filled in your provider, create a new lineup.

5. Click on the My DVR Options tab.

6. Enable the Remote Scheduling checkbox and Save Changes

7. Click on TitanTV Listings at the upper left to get back to the schedule for your system.

8. Click on a desired program.

9. In the popup window, click on the button with a red dot/black box (2nd from left).

10. Confirm you want to add it to your remote queue (that you have to do this for every program is a major PITA). This stores the temporary setting on the TitanTV site (somewhere)

11. Go to eyeTV Preferences/Guide tab. In the TitanTV Remote Scheduling region, click the Change button to add your TitanTV account name (not email address) and password. This will let eyeTV access those stored recording requests stored on TitanTV.

12. Click the Check Now button. (I also set the interval to every hour).

13. This should start populating your Schedules list in eyeTV with your TitanTV selections. You may encounter some channel issues (e.g., I don't have a digital TV subscription, I had to edit the channel listings on TitanTV to remove the "HD" from the names). Also, you won't know about time conflicts until this stage: TitanTV lets you set anything you want without signaling conflicts). 

14. If you see a program in the eyeTV Schedules list, and nothing is set to italic, eyeTV should record the program (at least it has for me). 

Okay, folks, this was a quick-and-dirty rundown based on my hunting around and experimentation. I am far from an expert on TitanTV, so don't ask me about the service. BTW, the iOS version of the TitanTV app does not let you set remote schedules. Booo!

Enjoy (as best you can) this clumsy operation.

When I schedule a remote recording, eyeTV tries to set the input to default to composit in.  Any way to change that?

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.40.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.40.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.41.15 PM.png

3 hours ago, Phillie14586 said:

I ignore the channel number in the naming schemes. As I mentioned for Comedy Central (as an example), I entered CMDY in eyeTV's Channels list (not the Schedules list). Comedy Central is on channel 63 of my system, so that's where it appears in the eyeTV Channels list. I also entered the same CMDY in TitanTV's Callsign field for that channel (leaving the Channel field as it was, 63 on my system). Even though eyeTV displays the channel number in the Schedules list, those numbers are not part what Titan treats as the Callsign. Just make sure the TitanTV Channel number is the same as eyeTV -- you shouldn't have to edit that information on either one. It would be a whole lot easier if the two systems simply relied on the channel number, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

8 minutes ago, oneof52 said:

When I schedule a remote recording, eyeTV tries to set the input to default to composit in.  Any way to change that?

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 6.40.30 PM.png

In eyeTV, go to the Channels listing. Scroll to find Animal Planet. Rename that channel to ANIMALHD. The beginnings of the channel names have to match between the two systems. If you see TitanTV add some extra things in parentheses for a channel, ignore it, and don't try to match it in eyeTV.

Confusing, I know, but that's what I found to work for me.

13 minutes ago, dannyg said:

In eyeTV, go to the Channels listing. Scroll to find Animal Planet. Rename that channel to ANIMALHD. The beginnings of the channel names have to match between the two systems. If you see TitanTV add some extra things in parentheses for a channel, ignore it, and don't try to match it in eyeTV.

Confusing, I know, but that's what I found to work for me.

Worked awesomely!   Thank you!

5 hours ago, Earl Noe said:

THIS IS OFF-TOPIC

But I will ask anyway, while I'm thinking of it. Has anyone written an Apple script that warns if you try to sleep the computer while EyeTV is recording? That is my principal cause of recording failures.

I never let mine sleep it causes too many issues, only the screen goes black if it goes more than 15 minutes without movement. My Mac Mini draws so little its just not worth it.

You shouldn't be concerned about sleeping your macmini, except, of course, not doing it absent mindedly when EyeTV is actually recording. EyeTV has worked flawlessly for me in waking up to record scheduled programs. It doesn't wake the display when it does this.

WisconsinEric:  

GOOD:

At a minimum, to use Schedules Direct you need a client.  EyeTV does not do this.  I'm using mc2xml (http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/).  That software is free, and will pull down an XMLTV file from Schedules Direct (using the -T flag).  You can then drag that xml file to the EyeTV icon.

BETTER:

To make it a little nicer, I found a bash script (I named it getepg.sh) which will download your XMLTV file and load it into EyeTV:

#!/bin/bash

MC2XML="/Users/<username>/scripts/mc2xml"
XMLTV="/Users/<username>/scripts/xmltv.xml"

#Set the working directory

cd /Users/<username>/scripts/

# Check if we have internet connection
ping -q -c 1 -t 5 google.com > /dev/null

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
# Get new schedule
$MC2XML -T <user>:<pass> 

# Reload EyeTV with the file
open -a EyeTV $XMLTV
fi

Source: https://kcore.org/2009/01/07/using-xmltv-with-eyetv/

Put mc2xml and getepg.sh in /Users/<username>/scripts/

BEST:

Finally,  to automate the running of the above script, I wrote a Launch Agent to run the script once a day (noon in this example):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Label</key>
  <string>net.<username>.getepg</string>

<key>Program</key>
    <string>/Users/<username>/scripts/getepg.sh</string>

<key>StartCalendarInterval</key> 
<dict> 
    <key>Hour</key> 
    <integer>12</integer> 
    <key>Minute</key> 
    <integer>0</integer> 
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

This goes in /Users/<username>/Library/LaunchAgents/

I've been running this setup on a free Schedules Direct trial account for a few days, and so far, so good.

21 minutes ago, Phillie14586 said:

DC Rakerby does this XMLTV data include New/Repeat, season and episode number information?

I think EyeTV does some sort of logic to determine new/repeat (based on series and date; there's nothing in the raw data that says new or repeat).  For instance, today's Hell's Kitchen has this info: "<date>20190208</date>".  I don't see season/episode numbers.  Try the 7-day free Schedules Direct account and see if it'll work for you.