Gnappo

macOS Catalina 10.15

Recommended Posts

Maybe you'll get an answer in this tread - in the thread "64 Bit support" - we did not get an answer. I guess geniatech bought a yacht an they are sailing away. In the harbor they read in this forum and laugh. To cut a long story short. Find a another product that fits your demand and forget EyeTV. I'm only here to find tipps about alternative products.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been running a debug version of EyeTV 3.6.9 (7524) since long, hoping that I could provide enough debug-data for Geniatech to fix the problems I have with it. Today I was going to install the macOS 10.15 beta but when the installer 'told me' I would no longer be able to run EyeTV I cancelled the installation. I am now wondering: How do I continue?

Edited by Adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, Adam said:

I've been running a debug version of EyeTV 3.6.9 (7524) since long, hoping that I could provide enough debug-data for Geniatech to fix the problems I have with it. Today I was going to install the macOS 10.15 beta but when the installer 'told me' I would no longer be able to run EyeTV I cancelled the installation. I am now wondering: How do I continue?

We have to hope that EyeTV is updated to a 64bit app for use under Catalina and beyond. Mojave was the last MacOS to support 32bit apps like the current EyeTV app.

You can check under System Report/Software/Applications to see how many 32bit apps you have that won't run under Catalina. I have a ton of them.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think Giniatech is going to dump these systems when Catalina comes out.  I don't think they're doing anything to update to 64 bit.  They're just milking a dying cow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

So if i update my iMac to MacOS Catalina (10.15), will I have to update Eye TV or will Geniatech  have to update Eye TV to a 64bit application to work with macOS Catalina- 10.15? 

 

Thanks

Will 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If EyeTV is important to you today, don't install Catalina. The 64-bit application is in betaphase, not ready for public release. 

This from what I've read on this forum. I'm holding out of installing Catalina till EyeTV (and couple other apps) are 64 bit ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final Calalina was released yesterday. Geniateck promised to have the 64bit Version Ready when it is released. I can not find a 64bit Ready Version. Even if the 

Final EyeTV Software is not finised you should now open the beta to everybody so that YOUR CUSTOMERS have even a Chance to install Cataline with a

beta of EyeTV.  

Kind Regards 

P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, ErkkiK said:

If EyeTV is important to you today, don't install Catalina. The 64-bit application is in betaphase, not ready for public release. 

This from what I've read on this forum. I'm holding out of installing Catalina till EyeTV (and couple other apps) are 64 bit ready.

It is in a betaphase for months now, I would not wonder, if it stays there forever.

Geniatech always assured, they will be ready for catalina in time. Now catalina ist out and Geniatech is nowhere.

They will not even give a lousy statement about there plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Office said:

It is in a betaphase for months now, I would not wonder, if it stays there forever.

Geniatech always assured, they will be ready for catalina in time. Now catalina ist out and Geniatech is nowhere.

They will not even give a lousy statement about there plans.

It always amazes me how people imagine they are entitled to all sorts of things. Especially with computer technology.

Geniatech have a product which does what it advertises to do with the systems which were out at the time it was released. When people decide they would like to move to a newer technology, why do they imagine the companies which supplied them with a product are now obliged to put in lots of effort just to supply another product – and probably with the expectation of it being free.

Granted, it would be nice to receive regular status updates so we know how to plan. But don't make the mistake of confusing courtesy with obligation. And if Geniatech have run in to unforeseen difficulties releasing a product to meet your expected schedule, better they miss the scheduled release than provide a product you will only complain about as being released before it was ready. Note that because of this issue, companies are often unwilling to make any statement to when things will be ready. And then those inclined to moan about everything will moan the lack of communication.

Be grateful that you can expect the release of some updated software which is most probably going to generate minimal extra income for Geniatech from the existing customer base. If you don't like that, switch to a competing product and see if they can do better. Just please stop moaning like a spoilt child who didn't receive a better present than the other kid.

And no, this isn't directed at one specific poster. Rather at the whole group of people who imagine life should be more convenient for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sandy said:

It always amazes me how people imagine they are entitled to all sorts of things. Especially with computer technology.

Geniatech have a product which does what it advertises to do with the systems which were out at the time it was released. When people decide they would like to move to a newer technology, why do they imagine the companies which supplied them with a product are now obliged to put in lots of effort just to supply another product – and probably with the expectation of it being free.

Granted, it would be nice to receive regular status updates so we know how to plan. But don't make the mistake of confusing courtesy with obligation. And if Geniatech have run in to unforeseen difficulties releasing a product to meet your expected schedule, better they miss the scheduled release than provide a product you will only complain about as being released before it was ready. Note that because of this issue, companies are often unwilling to make any statement to when things will be ready. And then those inclined to moan about everything will moan the lack of communication.

Be grateful that you can expect the release of some updated software which is most probably going to generate minimal extra income for Geniatech from the existing customer base. If you don't like that, switch to a competing product and see if they can do better. Just please stop moaning like a spoilt child who didn't receive a better present than the other kid.

And no, this isn't directed at one specific poster. Rather at the whole group of people who imagine life should be more convenient for themselves.

Actually no, you are completely wrong.

Yes, of course i;'m entitled to things, especially if i have paid a large money on this. It is not opensource not in github not a pirate software so yes i have requests and demands that a company IF it values their customers will have to comply otherwise it is dead on the market. Now it has a sort o monopoly on this that's why we do not have any other option with the same benefits.

They SHOULD release a statement, they SHOULD help customers which are paid customers btw and more and more. They want to release the 64bit and charge it another 100$ that is fine, i will pay for it , which at least it will be a progress and noone can complain. Don't buy it, but it will be there.

Also this

Quote

"Geniatech have a product which does what it advertises to do with the systems which were out at the time it was released. When people decide they would like to move to a newer technology," 

is completely wrong. Let's see the home page of eyetv software:

Quote

Technical Information
System Requirements
OS X 10.9 or later.
a compatible TV Tuner

Do i need to say more ? do you see anywhere even now, even with all this that says no Catallina support ? why not put it there ? maybe because they will loose customers ? is this false advertisement ? of course yes !

And in addition to that, with high sierra there was the issue with the apple remote that the up /down button did not work in eyetv and almost all other software in mac. Of course i contacted the support and told me "not our fault, apple changed something" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can find the thread somewhere here, even after i pointed AGAIN that on their site they say "support apple remote" , they do not say "support apple remote " * Non in high sierra. Even on an asterisk, small down down on the page.

So yes, i demand stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I don't know anyone here so --  hi. I went to the Geniatech website and found no info about Catalina and 64-bit. I went to the blog https://www.geniatech.eu/blog-9-info-eyetv-4-64-bit-macos-10-15-catalina-eyetv-3-32-bit-macos-mojave-10-14/ and found a link at the bottom of the page to a poll on devices and a link to download EyeTV4 https://eyetvforum.com/index.php?/topic/3064-eyetv-4x-for-mac-64-bit-public-beta-preview/.

It strikes me that most of the devices are for Europe, I'm in the USA. I voted for the devices I have. You should do the same.

I downloaded the beta and it does run. I'm still running Mojave and thinking of going to Catalina. I do have an EyeTV Hybrid and the software finds it. I have a Hauppauge Pinnacle tuner which works fine on EyeTV 3, but Eyetv 4 doesn't see it. The beta seems to work and does look a bit different the EyeTV 3. I haven't played with the beta too much yet.

Has anyone downloaded the beta and found a way to get other tuners recognized? Does anyone see anything drastically different from EyeTV 3?

Thanks,

Paul

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An update.

 

The SiliconDust HDHomeRun works. No setup required, just attach to router and EyeTV 4 finds it. Still can't get Happauge Pinnacle to be recognized.

 

Thanks,

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 3:01 AM, great_vc said:

Actually no, you are completely wrong.

 Yes, of course i;'m entitled to things, especially if i have paid a large money on this. It is not opensource not in github not a pirate software so yes i have requests and demands that a company IF it values their customers will have to comply otherwise it is dead on the market. Now it has a sort o monopoly on this that's why we do not have any other option with the same benefits

Let me understand this. If you were to buy a petrol powered car, and 5 years later petrol runs out because everyone moves to electric power, you would expect the car manufacturer to convert your car to battery as part of their customer service? 🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 10:59 PM, Sandy said:

Let me understand this. If you were to buy a petrol powered car, and 5 years later petrol runs out because everyone moves to electric power, you would expect the car manufacturer to convert your car to battery as part of their customer service? 🤔

Your analogy is completely false

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, great_vc said:

Your analogy is completely false

Ok. Good comeback. You would have put lots of thought in to that one. Now I can understand why it took 5 days to show up. 😯

However, your argument loses me in the details. Let us see…

  1. You spend good money on a product which satisfies your needs? Check.
  2. Some time later, and out of control of the manufacturer, the environment changes which renders the product obsolete? Check.
  3. You believe the manufacturer has an obligation to rectify the situation to your satisfaction? Check

So please help this dim person to understand which part is "completely false"? Perhaps you could save some time when composing your next reply and just using the standard "witch hunt" / "fake news" defence. That seems to be a favoured tactic amongst those of certain education levels.🤦‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Ok. Good comeback. You would have put lots of thought in to that one. Now I can understand why it took 5 days to show up. 😯

However, your argument loses me in the details. Let us see…

  1. You spend good money on a product which satisfies your needs? Check.
  2. Some time later, and out of control of the manufacturer, the environment changes which renders the product obsolete? Check.
  3. You believe the manufacturer has an obligation to rectify the situation to your satisfaction? Check

So please help this dim person to understand which part is "completely false"? Perhaps you could save some time when composing your next reply and just using the standard "witch hunt" / "fake news" defence. That seems to be a favoured tactic amongst those of certain education levels.🤦‍♀️

Sorry, why are you wasting our time with your nonsense?

Geniatech promised several times to be ready, when Catalina will be out. They faked all of us and this a good reason to blame them for this lousy job!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a software developer, I can attest that trying to upgrade legacy code is not easy.  This is especially true if it is poorly documented and if it was written by someone else who is long gone and cannot be consulted.   (I don't know whether this is true for the EyeTV source code.)

Geniatech may have had the best of intentions, but converting to 64 bit and making it work with Catalina may have turned out to be a nightmarish task.  I would cut them a bit of slack, for a while anyway.  They have the incentive of being able to sell the software all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Martin1 said:

Geniatech promised several times to be ready, when Catalina will be out. They faked all of us and this a good reason to blame them for this lousy job!

Then I apologise. I had not realised they had "promised" to have it out at any particular time. I haven't seen them make that promise. I have only heard people claiming hearsay that Geniatech committed to the deadline.

So if they did make a commitment to having it out before Catalina then yes, they have fallen short. However, if that was only a goal and not a commitment, then I would appreciate you not wasting our time by throwing your toys from the cot because you didn't receive what you imagined.

NB The closest I could find to a promise was from here.

Quote

the Eyetv dev + support team have a clear target, as from beginning - move eyetv Mac app to the next level - and be ready in time (launch of Catalina), but as much quality first, hope understand this.
 

Again, if I have missed something then I apologise. But if you are taking out your own frustrations because of something Geniatech never said, it would be better for you to show a little humility and be less eager to throw blame around when it is you who would be at fault. Fair? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that the move to 64 bit was also partially responsible for the tv guide crash which I'm sure pulled focus from the 64 bit app.. so while I still have issues with 7528 and my eyetvHD  I would much rather them focus on getting us a v4 with 64 bit support then some of this minor other issues in 5 year old software.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/10/2019 at 5:01 PM, great_vc said:

Let's see the home page of eyetv software:

Quote

Technical Information
System Requirements
OS X 10.9 or later.
a compatible TV Tuner

 

So you need more than that ?

Do you have stock options in the company ?

 

On 10/19/2019 at 12:09 AM, Sandy said:

So please help this dim person to understand which part is "completely false"? Perhaps you could save some time when composing your next reply and just using the standard "witch hunt" / "fake news" defence. That seems to be a favoured tactic amongst those of certain education levels.🤦‍♀️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, great_vc said:

So you need more than that ?

That claim (on the website) should now be corrected as it is inaccurate. Anyone purchasing the software in the last two months and then discovering it didn't work with Catalina would be entitled to claim a refund because of incorrect advertising.

IS that what you did? Did you just buy this product and find out it didn't work? I think not. So do us a favour and stop playing victim in need of compensation when in reality you are the crying child hoping someone will give you something you haven't earned.

So do I need more than that line? Sure I do. I would like you to find anywhere where Geniatech has publicly announced they would have the 64-bit software ready by the release of the new macOS. IF you can find that, I will change my stance immediately and agree with you. However, until then, all I hear is a baby crying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sandy said:

That claim (on the website) should now be corrected as it is inaccurate. Anyone purchasing the software in the last two months and then discovering it didn't work with Catalina would be entitled to claim a refund because of incorrect advertising.

Do you seriously don't understand how wrong this statement is ? So the false advertising which is punishable by law BTW is apply to people only buying the product in the last two months, again, seriously ? Boy, you have some weird thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.